12 ~

I opened my eyes and saw that I was still under this tree. So it wasn't a dream... Everyday when I woke up I hoped all of this was only a bad dream, a nightmare. I had to face reality : our fate was traced. Especially Daniel's. I felt like I was being extremely selfish. I was scared though it was Daniel who was going to war, not me. I was wondering how will be my life without him during this unknown amount of time. In fact.. no. I couldn't imagine it. I couldn't imagine it without him, without feeling his warm breathe on a cold morning, feeling his hand interact with my arm and make me violently shiver. I will miss his touch. I will miss him.

I got up, willing to go home but my legs didn't let me. Instead, they led me to my parent's. They didn't know about it yet because I didn't know how to announce it to them.

As I arrived, I unconsciously knocked on my parent's pale door. I hold my emotions back until my mother came to welcome me. I fell down and she panicked.

I couldn't get up, I was too weak. "Honey, what's wrong?!"
"I just can't..." I managed to say quietly, my voice hidden by the sound of my sobs "It's.... It's Daniel" I  was now holding my face in my hands, still on my knees on the front door red carpet.
My father came and complained about the sound. "I'm trying to work, he-... Scarlett?" 
My mother was holding and trying to calm me. "Is it because of him ? What did he do?!"
"What?" shouted my father. They thought he did something wrong to me. No. It was life that did something wrong to him. I shook my head and muttered "He's... he's going. He's leaving. He's going to war." 
They didn't reply. But there was nothing to say. They didn't know how to comfort me, knowing they couldn't. 

I heard a car and found enough strength to turn around. I recognized the dark car despites my blurry sight. 

"Scarlett !" it was Daniel. "I was so scared, Scarlett! What happened?" he ran to me and took me in his arms. I cried in his chest and put my arms around him, holding him tight. 
"Don't leave me, please." I begged "I need you here. I need you around me, I need you close, I need your words, I need you voice. I need you, don't go... don't disappear, I'm begging you." I shouted 
He put his head on mine and stroked my hear, shushing me. "Scarlett... You'll be strong. We will make it. I'm so sorry. I truly am. I wish I could stay here and hold you untill the end of time. But I can't. It's not my choice, you know it. My choice would be to stay and watch you grow up by my side. I'll come back. I'll come back, you hear me? I promise."

"How can you promise? You know I hate promises. You know I hate them. You know their strengths and how they ruin a life. Don't ruin mine, don't promise me anything except your love. I know your love will last... I know you will always be true because I feel the same. I know you, I know us." I had completely forgot about the presence of my parents who were both watching the scene, holding hands and almost crying. 

I crashed my lips on Daniel's, hold his neck in my hand to kiss him harder and longer until I couldn't breathe any more. "Let's go home..." he whispered in my ear. I nodded, still having my arms around his body. I turned around and waved to my dad and mom. "I love you..." I said to them so quietly  that they didn't hear me, like I was the one who was going. Like I was never going to see them again. I just had this feeling, now : That everything will fall apart as the same way that it was right now.

I was asking myself the same question I had been asking since I read that letter : Will Daniel come back from war... alive ?