Chapter 7: Unrecognized

After a long break focusing on some of my other works I am finally back to work on this one. Welcome back to all who are reading! Now that "Left behind" and "Across the Midnight Sea" are finished I can dedicate time to this one.

I will be updating multiple times each month! Please don't forget to vote and leave some love in comments if you enjoy, they definitely help motivate me to work!

-

Seeing Airne there in front of him once more sent a sucker punch to Cadimus gut.

With her hair slightly mess, dirt on her cheek, and brown eyes wide she looked scared and defiant at the same time.

Like a captured lioness rather than a caged bird, he thought absently.

Struggling against Grimma, the second in command of Abeloth's vipers, her sweater rode up exposing a strip of smooth tan skin across her stomach. Cadimus couldn't help looking at the little divot by her hip as she stretched.

He could imagine his hands there, holding those wide hips, yanking her close. Would she melt against him or meet his kiss before he made it half way?

No, he turned away from the thought quickly.

She was a Phoenix, not a Dragon.

He would not, could not think of that.

Cadimus glanced back towards Airne and caught Grimma looking down at the young woman who was half his age as if she were some kind of a meal.

Keep your hands off her.

A sudden urge to punch Grimma in the face, and then burn his skin from his bones gripped Cadimus and he only resisted the urge to snarl.

When Airne looked up at Cadimus she glowered.

Gone was the gentleness that she had showed him in the pocket when he was captive.

She doesn't even know who you are, she saved the boy she thought was pathetic. A scarred broken Dragon. She only knows this face as her enemy. She only cared because she thought you were weak.

It didn't matter that he didn't like the way the older man was looking at Airne, he was powerless to do anything about it.

How would it look if a high ranking dragon like himself decided to go to bat for a phoenix born woman?

It was one thing to want to sleep with the enemy, it was another thing to want to save them.

Still, Grimma's attention towards her made Cadimus' skin crawl.

Only moments ago you were picturing her safe and sound...

And after that you were imagining kissing her.

Foolish, he chastised himself.

Cadimus realized he was staring. Airne's sharp eyes met his and locked with him.

He challenged her to look away. She remained strong unafraid of him even knowing his family's and his reputation.

It started a strange fire in his veins, the way she looked at him.

Setting the book down on the table next to him, Cadimus stood as casually as he could manage. It would look strange to anyone's eyes if he just stayed sitting amid all the commotion.

"We found the Phoenix's hideaway," Grimma announced.

"And this is all you managed to bring back?" Dracarious sneered. "Tyler and a woman?"

Dracarious had been sending his own men out with the vipers for months. He saw finding and handing over Arrow to Abeloth as a chance at eternal glory, his chance at redemption.