Chapter 13: Bound

This chapter is super long, and while it has some similarities to Left behind, there are some MAJOR  differences, so make sure not to skim...and I hope you enjoy!

-

When no one moved Cadimus realized that the direction, the order to bring Airne, was intended for him to follow.

He could barely stand on his own, how the hell was he supposed to manage bringing Airne to Abeloth? Also, and more importantly, what was Abeloth going to do?

Abeloth was the only person in the room who Cadimus couldn't fight one one on one to save her.

I am the best fighter the Dragon blooded have to offer, he thought looking up at Abeloth. Except him.

Abeloth's power was unrivaled, partially because of the stone he possessed: A perfectly flawless piece of Mayanmar Painite. To some it simply looked like a large and beautiful Ruby or Garnet...but it was the most rare and powerful stone for a Dragon and Abeloth had ensured that he was the only one in possession of the material.

He killed any dragon he even suspected of hiding a shard from him.

Not that a shard could do anything again the stone he possessed.

So when it came to fighting, Cadimus felt secure in his ability...but not his weapons. It wasn't a matter of wanting to or not, he couldn't. Against Abeloth and the Painite he didn't stand a chance in hell.

And why would you want to fight him anyways? He asked himself. Abeloth is our leader, our savoir. She is just...a girl.

The last part of the thought did not sit right with Cadimus.

Airne wasn't just a girl, she was a woman, a strong one. Stronger than any he had met.

And a Phoenix, the voice in his head said pointedly.

"Do as he says Cadimus," Dracarious ordered jolting him from his thoughts and stillenss. Cadimus found himself glaring at his own father.

He did not need to be told what to do, or reminded to obey the Dragon lord and his father's slight and order to show his unglamored face and pretend to be a servant in his own house was still fresh in Cadimus' mind.

Shifting away from his mother Cadimus somehow managed to walk across the room. Each step and each breath hurt.

He stood above Airne who was lying, still unconscious, on the ground. She looked like a sleeping princess. There were half a dozen small cuts in her face and arms, but for the most part he had managed to shield her from the collapse of the ceiling.

The garnet offered fire, and some power, but it was a chaotic force to harvest and control. The only other stone he was currently wearing was the black opal which hid his face.

Nurunia was beside him again a second later, pressing one of her Sapphire bangles into his hand. It was oversized and so while she could slip it on and off with ease, it just barely fit over Cadimus much larger hand.

Channeling the power of the stones Cadimus hauled Airne up without touching her. He directed the magic as gently as he could without letting it appear as if he cared for her welfare. Reaching out with his good hand he steadied her floating form.

"What happened?" she asked slowly coming to. She opened her eyes blinking. It only took her a second to asses her position.

Launching herself into action she rebelled against Cadimus and the magic's grasp elbowing him in the face the sharp point catching his lip splitting it open. The metallic taste of his own blood filled his mouth and Cadimus' temper rose.