Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen: Tests

(Madison's P.O.V.)

            It felt good for things to finally be semi-back to normal. Ryan was gone, hopefully for good, but that felt like the only real shift. It was about a week after the incident when the police stopped questioning me. I had continued to lie for my mom. Ever since then she basically avoided me anyway. Zayn was staying at the closest hotel for a little while. I was going to school, hanging out with Zayn, Noah, and Ella, and that was just about it. My free rein was bound to end at some point, though.

            I stayed at Zayn's hotel with him for a night. Obviously we did some stuff, but it wasn't a big deal. I mean I wasn't really thinking about anything, or thinking that anything could happen. I guess you can never know for sure.

            The next morning we went out for breakfast and then he dropped me off at home. Mom was there, but she was ignoring me like she had been. I didn't say anything as I walked passed either, so at least it was mutual. I took a shower and then left again to hang out alone with Noah. Zayn had some stuff to take care of and then he was meeting us there. Ella would most likely join us after that.

            "Hello!" I yelled as I walked into the front room.

"You sound awfully cheery, did something happen?" Noah's mom poked her head out.

I shrugged, "nothing in particular."

"Oh leave her alone, mom," Noah sighed from the couch.

"I didn't even see you there," I laughed.

"Well I've been waiting for you slow poke."

"I had to take a shower."

"Of course you did." I glared at him while he smiled innocently. I couldn't hold back a grin any longer, though.

"You do seem extra happy today," he said.

"Maybe I am."

            We went to Noah's room and I settled myself comfortably on his bed while he sat on his old bean bag.

"Seriously what has gotten into you?" He asked quizzically.

"What, am I not allowed to be happy?" I teased.

"No don't think that at all! I'm happy for you, it's just different."

"I think it's that Ryan finally left, and mom hasn't done anything to me since."

"Do you think she's ever going to talk to you again?"

"Probably, but hopefully not. I don't really know."

"Your life is so complicated."

"Tell me about it."

"At least you kind of have things figured out."

I scoffed, "what do you mean?"

"Well, you know who your friends are. Ryan left, your mom is going to stop abusing you, and you can live in peace. You're smart, and we know you'll end up doing something amazing. Plus you have Zayn."

"Zayn isn't set in stone."

"Oh please, you and Zayn have something great going here."

"I don't know, we had a rocky start," I shrugged uncomfortably, "I'm not sure he's meant to last."

"I think he will."

"Oh yeah? How long do you think that will be?"

"Forever."