Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve: “Happily” Ever After

(Zayn’s P.O.V.)

“And?” Harry asked the moment I returned to the boys waiting in the hallway.

“I couldn’t do it,” I sighed.

“Here let’s go back to the room,” Liam said as he slung a comforting arm around my shoulders. I noticed Harry lingering behind and prayed to God he was going to fix this.

(Madison’s P.O.V.)

            I could feel tears burning in my eyes as I stood clutching my phone in the middle of the street, but I was doing my best to hold them back.

“Just take one step at a time,” I said quietly, slowly to myself. One foot was lifted, inched forward, and hit pavement. Then the other.

“Just walk,” I said again with less hesitancy. No one was around. No one would see if I broke down. A tree rustled and I glanced over noting closed blinds and tall fences. Yet I was still in the open. Anyone could show up or come around. At least if I was home the only threat was my mom or Ryan.

            No sooner had I started walking quickly again when my phone began to vibrate. I was hesitant to answer knowing that another blow was coming and all I’d be able to do would be take the hit and cry up a storm after they were done. Despite that logic I pushed answer, simply because I knew I would have to face them sooner or later.

“I don’t need another lecture or fit of rage if that’s what you’re looking to do,” I said bitterly.

“I know.”

I could tell Harry was trying to keep his voice low to stay undetected. That meant Zayn didn’t know he was calling.

“What do you want then?” I asked after he didn’t add anything else.

“The real question here is what do you want?”

“I don’t know,” I sighed.

“I think you do.”

“Well you think wrong.”

“You sure?”

“What are you getting at Harry?”

“You know what it is and you’re just too scared to admit it! You want Zayn, and you’re too afraid of getting hurt to open up and just talk to him!”

“He’s the one that wouldn’t talk.”

“You know what I mean.”

“So what? You want me to go confess some sort of love for him? You want me to tell him that I’m so sorry and I will never do it again? Because then everything will be dandy and we’ll all be happy? That’s bullshit and you know it. My life is not a movie and it never will have that happy ending effect because this is real life. You know what I really want? I want everyone to stop pretending like a few magic words will make every problem disappear. That after some sort of climax there’s a rainbow and we all get to spend the rest of forever carefree. It doesn’t work like that. Nothing ever works like that, even after you think the problem is gone.”

I started crying mid-speech and Harry waited for me to let it out.

“But you know what can help, even just a little?”

“Shut up.”

“Letting people love you.”

“Oh my god.”