Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen: Runaway

(Madison’s P.O.V.)

            Noah’s house felt particularly warm and comforting as it always did after a fight broke out at mine. His mom took me into her arms and let me cry until I was calm enough to ask where Noah was himself.

“He went out with his dad, but he should be back within the next hour. Do you want to wait for him?”

“Yes please.”

She made me a hot cup of tea and let me sit silently on the couch while she folded laundry and watched an old game show rerun. As the time passed I thought about my options for the evening. I could spend the night at Noah’s house, which was pretty tempting, but he was always in a bad mood after a night with his dad and I didn’t want to add another burden to him. I could also go back home, but that would involve possible confrontation with the very people that drove me out. Then there was Ella’s house, but we weren’t quite close enough for me to intrude at this hour for the reason I had.

            It had been Zayn’s suggestion to stay at Noah’s until things settled down at my own household, but I didn’t specify when it would be safe to go back. I decided to just wait for Noah, talk to him about what happened with both of us that night, and then leave him alone. I could handle another night at my place. Mom and Ryan were probably passed out if they hadn’t killed each other yet. Either way I would be okay. Noah got home with a look of absolute frustration, slamming the door behind him after he stepped inside.

“Hello darling,” his mom said to him as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

“Hey mom. Hi Mads.”

“How was your night?” His mom asked with her voice tight. It was obvious she was uncomfortable with Noah seeing his dad, and we knew she felt bad because he was the one that suggested a separation and then forced divorce. So it was always awkward when Noah got back from a “night” with him which really just meant his dad took him out to dinner, offered him to go back and hang out to which Noah always politely declined so his dad drove him home. And this was only once a month.

“It was fine. Madison, what are you doing here?”

“I’m sorry; I forgot that it’s dad night.”

“You know it’s okay. Do we need to talk?”

I just nodded in response.

“To my room then.”

            Noah’s mom looked at me with sadness and mouthed to me that I was welcome to stay as long as I wanted. I mouthed a thank you back and then went to the back where Noah’s room was. We sat on the bed and I explained to him what had happened. He insisted that I stay with him but I refused. He told me that nothing particularly bad happened with his dad, they just had too many different opinions to get along. But I knew better than that. They often fought about Noah’s friendship with me, whether or not it was friendship, and how much his dad disapproved. To be fair, Noah’s dad was a high class business man with a lot of money, but neither of us really liked him. Noah just had to because it was his dad. But he would choose his poor mom over his richly dad any day.

            Since I refused to let Noah have me spend the night he made me promise to text him when I got home and tell him how bad the situation was. I also left him Zayn’s number, by his request, in case something did go wrong they could be in touch. We said our goodbyes, I thanked his mom profusely as I always did, and she also warned me that she wished I would just stay the night. But I was too stubborn to change my mind, and I thought I could take care of myself.