Chapter 5

A faint breeze blew against the trees, rustling the leaves overhead as Maplepaw followed Crowfur through Oakwood. She quickly hopped over a fallen branch as the bushes shook behind her. Turning warily, she saw a mouse scurrying across the path and into the undergrowth on the other side. Once, she would have wanted to pounce and bring the prey back for her Clan, but she now knew very well that she had left that path behind and set her paws on the path of a medicine cat instead.

"Here's some," Crowfur told her apprentice after halting. "Dock leaves."

Maplepaw stood beside her mentor and observed the large leaves as Crowfur leaned forward to take a bundle in her mouth.

"What a-are they used f-f-for?" Maplepaw asked, sniffing at the herb.

"Dock is good for small scratches or sore pads," Crowfur replied. "We're almost out, so we'll need some more."

Maplepaw padded over to the bush and grabbed a mouthful of leaves. The juice from the dock tasted sour in her mouth, but she stopped herself before spitting them out.

"This should be enough," Crowfur murmured as she set off through the trees.

Maplepaw bounded after her. She was beginning to feel more comfortable in the territory after a couple days of exploring. Crowfur had shown her a piece of the territory each day, taking it one paw step at a time. The method seemed to be working; she could now at least walk around without jumping at every sound.

Maplepaw ducked into the vine tunnel after her mentor. The two cats trotted across the clearing and slipped into the medicine den. Crowfur shoved the leaves from her mouth into a cleft in the wall and Maplepaw placed hers beside them. Then she went to sit beside the medicine cat, who was waiting for her.

"You know," Crowfur began, "there is a lot more to being a medicine cat than memorizing herbs." She turned to her apprentice before continuing. "Do you know what?"

Maplepaw thought for a moment. "W-w-well I know t-that t-they give t-t-their lives for t-the Clan, but in a-a d-d-different way t-than a warrior w-would."

Crowfur blinked. Maplepaw couldn't tell if she was surprised or confused.

"Yes, I guess," Crowfur mewed. "But medicine cats also have a special connection with StarClan."

Maplepaw nodded. Every cat knew that. "H-have you e-e-ever been given a-a p-p-prophecy?" she wondered.

Crowfur hesitated. She twitched her ear. "Yes," she finally replied. Before Maplepaw could ask more questions, she went on, "You could as well."

"R-r-really?" Maplepaw gasped. "B-but I'm only a-an a-a-apprentice!"

"A medicine cat apprentice. And that means you could see visions or omens."

Maplepaw felt anxiety creep down her spine. What kind of visions? "W-what i-if I d-d-don't know what t-they mean?"

"That's the thing," Crowfur sighed. "Our dreams are complicated. We're not allowed to share them until we know the meanings of them. They could worry the Clan and cause chaos."

I have to figure it all out on my own? That sounds hard. Maplepaw flattened her ears. I don't think I could do that...

"Of course, if you do receive a prophecy, you can still talk to me," Crowfur added, narrowing her eyes.

As Maplepaw breathed a sigh of relief, the black she-cat went on. "Tomorrow is the half-moon, which means your first Starpool visit. StarClan knows what'll happen."

The Starpool... Maplepaw had heard of the pool but had never seen it. She'd been told that it was very beautiful. Although seeing the iconic medicine cat meeting place sent shivers down her spine, she still couldn't wait to see it.