Chapter 23

Finally, Maplepaw thought as EarthClan entered their camp. Her paws felt like they were going to fall off after the eventful day. From training with Copperpaw, to saving Thunderkit and Breezekit, to the chaotic gathering, she was no short of exhausted. Cloudstar and Gingerstar hadn't reported much, although Maplepaw wondered if they had just cut it short to get back to their camps as quickly as possible. She didn't know exactly what had happened between Coldstar, Ripplestar, and Gingerstar; she had never seen Clan leaders arguing like that before. But she was more stuck on the look Coldstar and Crowfur had shared.

When the gathering started to adjourn, Crowfur had suddenly left Maplepaw's side.

She wanted to forget it, but the medicine cat apprentice had later found her mentor talking with Duskheart. Only it was closer to arguing than talking.

Maplepaw had seen Crowfur and the AshClan deputy fighting before. But why?

Maplepaw didn't know. She didn't understand what was going on with her mentor and AshClan's leader and deputy. Was anything going on between them?

When she reached the medicine cave, she turned to Crowfur, but her mentor was already retreating into her tunnel. Maplepaw wanted to question her, but it was clear the black she-cat wasn't in the talking mood. Heaving a sigh, the apprentice curled into her nest. She wrapped her tail over her nose and closed her eyes, darkness sweeping over her almost immediately.

But she could enjoy the peace only a moment before she was suddenly out on the moor. Alarmed, Maplepaw looked around, struggling to see through the darkness.

"Maplepaw."

The apprentice jumped to find Dustclaw beside her. "D-Dustclaw?" she stuttered, gazing up at her father in confusion.

The brown tabby met her gaze, eyes distant and intense all at once. "Crows are more dangerous than they seem," he murmured vaguely.

"What?" Maplepaw had no idea what that meant. Then a squawk caught her attention and she spun around to see a black crow hopping around in the grass, tugging a worm from the ground. The bird shook the worm violently, screeching. It flapped its wings rapidly, tearing its prey into a million pieces. Heart racing, Maplepaw took a shaky step backward, expecting to feel Dustclaw's fur behind her, but instead she hit into hard rock.

With a gasp, she found herself back in her nest.

She scrabbled to her paws, mind whirling from her dream. Crows are more dangerous than they seem? What is Dustclaw trying to tell me?

Almost in answer to her silent question, paw steps sounded from the main cave. Ears pricking, Maplepaw peered out of her tunnel as Crowfur swept quietly out of the den.

Maplepaw stiffened. It was still dark outside. She knew the dawn patrol hadn't even gone out yet. So then where would she be going...?

Suddenly, Maplepaw realized her mentor was sneaking out again. Disappearing to wherever she always disappeared to. The medicine cat apprentice stumbled out of her tunnel, catching sight of her mentor again near the dirtplace tunnel. Where is she going?

Suspicion hardened inside of the apprentice. Her mentor's disappearances had always caused inconvenience. But now it was more than inconvenience. Thunderkit and Breezekit had almost died because Crowfur wasn't watching the herb stock. Another round of anger and frustration hit Maplepaw. This has gone far enough, she decided, taking a step forward.

Before she could have second thoughts, the brown she-cat darted after her mentor.

Dawn was just peeking over the horizon when she stepped onto the moor. Glimpsing around, she spotted Crowfur a good distance away from her. Crouching low to the grass, Maplepaw scampered toward her. I can't let her know I'm following her. Or else she'll make up some excuse. Did her mentor really think she'd believe those excuses forever? Does she think I won't get suspicious about why she's always 'collecting herbs'?