Chapter 6

Maplepaw sat outside the medicine den, watching the sun sink behind the trees. The sky shone a brilliant purple, followed by a gleaming pink and bright orange. The wind ruffled her fur and sent refreshing chills down her spine. She took a deep breath, filling her lungs with the cool dusk air. It's going to be a nice night.

"You ready to go?" Crowfur padded out of the medicine cat den.

"Yeah." Maplepaw's voice was shaky with both nervousness and excitement. Am I really going to meet StarClan?

"Good," Crowfur approved. "Then let's get going."

Maplepaw followed her mentor as she trotted across the clearing and out the vine tunnel. Mintscar, who was guarding the entrance, nodded to the medicine cats as they passed by.

The first stars of Silverpelt sparkled overhead as they traveled over the moor. The crickets, hidden in the grass, chirped loudly as if they were trying to communicate with the cats. After a while, the cats came to a small stream. Crowfur quickly hopped over it and turned to Maplepaw.

"Come on," she called.

Maplepaw took a step back to judge her distance. She bunched her muscles and sprang forward, clearing the river easily.

Crowfur whipped around to face Maplepaw, who had landed farther than she had. "Next time, don't jump so far."

Maplepaw shifted her paws. "O-oops."

Crowfur only flicked her tail to beckon the apprentice forward as she pushed through the bushes. Maplepaw scampered after her. On the other side of the bushes, she entered into a huge clearing. Maplepaw glanced around. There was a massive stump on one side with four little boulders surrounding it. The clearing was full of stale scents from cats of all the Clans. She took a step forward and felt cold rock beneath her paw. Lifting it, she recognized a flat stone dug into the earth. Gasping, she spotted three more spread across the soil.

"Welcome to Fourstones," Crowfur announced. "This is where the four Clans meet every full moon."

So that's why there are so many different scents here. Maplepaw looked up at the sky at the half-moon. It would still be a while till her first gathering. She wondered what it would be like to meet so many cats.

Maplepaw jumped as the bushes rustled behind her. Crowfur rested her tail on her shoulder as a swampy scent wafted towards them.

"That'll be Oaksap and Silverpaw," she told the apprentice.

As she spoke, a light brown tabby stepped out of the bushes, followed by a smaller silver tabby.

"Greetings, Crowfur," the brown tabby meowed.

Crowfur dipped her head. "Oaksap, it's good to see you." She turned to the she-cat. "Silverpaw, you as well."

Silverpaw nodded in acknowledgment then rested her gaze on Maplepaw. "Hello," she greeted her. "Who are you?"

"This is my apprentice, Maplepaw," Crowfur answered before Maplepaw could.

"Great!" Silverpaw exclaimed, sounding glad to have some cat her age.

"You'll make a fine medicine cat," Oaksap approved Maplepaw.

Maplepaw only dipped her head, too stunned to speak.

"Shall we get going?" Crowfur pushed.

"Wait for me!"

Maplepaw turned around and spotted a ginger tom racing towards them.

Oaksap purred in amusement. "Thornstripe, you're always late."

"I'd say you are just early," Thornstripe protested.