Chapter 19

"R-Ripplestar?" Maplepaw called meekly from outside the leader's den.

"Come in," came the reply.

Maplepaw did her best to try and hide her nerves as she padded into the bush. Ripplestar was sitting in her nest, licking one forepaw. She drew it over her ear. "What do you need?"

As Maplepaw went over what she was going to say, a strange sort of anxiety pulsed through her and she began to grow more queasy. She'd never felt this anxious entering the leader's den or talking with one when Eaglestar led EarthClan. Perhaps it was because the former leader was her kin. When she used to enter the bush on top of the Greatrock, a sense of warmth and calming filled the room, and when she looked at Eaglestar, she sensed understanding and love toward her. But now, she sensed nothing but tension filling the den. She gazed at Ripplestar and found none of that same affection in her eyes, only impatience. Grief tugged at Maplepaw's chest. She longed for those simple times again.

"Well?"

Ripplestar's annoyed voice broke her thoughts. She shifted her paws. I can do this. For Squirrelpaw. She took a breath and faced her leader again.

"W-what S-Squirrelpaw said w-w-was t-true," she started.

Ripplestar narrowed her eyes. "What did she say?" Maplepaw couldn't tell if she was truly confused or just hesitating to answer.

"A-a-about C-C-Coldstar," the apprentice breathed. "H-h-he w-was h-hunting o-on—"

"Speak up, won't you?" Ripplestar growled.

Maplepaw flinched, realizing her mew was no more than a whisper. Breathing heavily, she began again, "C-C-Coldstar w-w-was on o-our t-t-territory..." Her voice died away as she caught the bewildered gaze on her leader's face. Maplepaw's anxiety rose as she sensed tension more fiercely than before enter the den. "C-C-Coldstar w-was... w-w-was..." Her mouth suddenly went dry for words.

Ripplestar rose to her paws. "I don't have time for this," she growled, eyes blazing with intensity.

Maplepaw flattened her ears. "B-b-but—"

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" The leader's muzzle was no more than an inch away from her face.

Maplepaw shrank back, wincing. Glancing shyly over her shoulder, she looked up at the night sky and saw a bright half-moon shining among the clouds. The Starpool! I forgot!

Turning back to Ripplestar, she noticed the older she-cat's gaze still staring at her expectantly. Her tail tip twitched impatiently.

"S-s-sorry f-f-for—"

"Just go." Ripplestar turned her back toward her and headed back to her nest.

—wasting your time. Maplepaw heaved herself to her paws and plodded out of the bush, tail drooping. Ripplestar was more impatient than she had realized. She looked over her shoulder and saw the leader laying on her side, facing the wall. Perhaps she's just stressed, Maplepaw figured. Being the leader of a Clan with intense responsibilities weighing down on you must not be easy. Eaglestar hadn't passed that long ago; she was still a new leader. But Maplepaw couldn't push away the hurt banging her chest. She had never experienced that kind of anger toward her, and she definitely didn't like it. Every cat is different, she thought. Some are just short-tempered. I'll get used to it.

She hopped down the topple of rocks and onto solid ground as her nerves calmed. Pausing, she spotted Crowfur sitting near the vine tunnel. She hurried over to her.

"There you are." Crowfur stretched, arching her back. "What did Ripplestar want?" She eyed her suspiciously.

Maplepaw's pelt sparked. Did her mentor suspect something of her? She hesitated as some strange feeling told her not to tell Crowfur what she had heard from Squirrelpaw. "N-n-nothing i-important," she murmured. According to Ripplestar, she thought glumly.