Chapter 17

Quick A/N: The song above is the vibe that I envision for Spread me across your wasteland.

Arriving at the next venue, excitement and nerves mixed together and swirled around inside my stomach as I stepped off the bus into the chilly October air. A theatre half the size of the book shop and the club combined stood tall in front of me as I fought to stay calm. "Want to go get a look inside before we unload?" Lzzy said as she stepped off behind me.

"Definitely." Without looking back at her, I stuck my hands in the back pockets of my jeans as I let the excitement and giddiness carry me forward. Inside the actual theatre, a ceiling stood high and proud above me while a stage that was rather on the small side was still perfect. I did a three-sixty turn noticing a balcony and lots of room to move around.

 "This is perfect." I said to myself noticing Phi standing closely with Mr. Motionless. Smirking I shook my head, turning back towards the stage picturing our instruments set up and the crowds screaming and singing along. Humming, I started to feel the electricity flowing through my veins feeling my hips start to move along with the rhythm I was humming. 

Ignoring everyone behind me, I submerged myself in this feeling. "Feeling the electricity in my veins, making me feel alive again. I needed to put myself through hell to see myself on the other side. I denied myself everything that I ever wanted to make you satisfied but now it's time to take me back in stride and leave that life behind."

Turning around, I walked out of the venue with purpose. I needed to find my notebook before I forgot the words swirling around inside my skull. "Sawyer, where are you going?" 

"To get my notebook. I'll be right back." 

****************************************

Later after my emergency writing session, I helped everyone set up for Creatures of Habit's set. I set up my guitars against their stands while Phi set up her drums, twirling a drumstick between her fingers as I held a guitar pick in my hand. Looking out at the crew members, I noticed Phi out of the corner of my eye looking at a very particular crew member. I smiled genuinely because I knew that she had fallen hard for him like I had once upon a time with Ruby.

"Alright, Creatures of Habit you guys ready to start sound check?" 

"Yes sir, let's rock and roll." I said, grabbing my guitar, strapping it over my shoulder. 

"Dear best friend and band mate of mine, which song do we dare to start with?" 

"Spread me across your wasteland?" 

"Sure, let's do it." I said tuning my guitar to the correct chords and stepping up to the mic, slipping into confident Sawyer. "It's early in the AM, I just came from the club and the sky is gloomy today. I may look fine but I never feel okay, say what you want but don't you ever expect me to obey. There's a crack in my fault line and I'm falling apart under the pressure, the demon inside me has a smile a mile long like the Cheshire...

Spread me across your wasteland, make me feel as useful as you made me seem, mark my body with the touch of your hand and then send me off to lick my wounds! My mind has gone blank, everything has gone awry now. Everything is fine now while the world's on fire and you clutch your cross and take a bow on a bended knee!" 

Feeling the knot form in the back of my throat, I held my own the rest of the song and made sure I finished strong. After strumming the last note, I exhaled a big breath to make sure I didn't lose my cool in front of everyone. "One more!" I heard Chris yell causing me to smile. 

"We could play the song we just wrote and came up with." I turned towards Phi. "You ready?" 

"I'm ready but the question is, are you?" I bit my lip and looked out at everyone, choosing to  focus on Ricky. After a moment of debate, I nodded. "Yeah, I'm ready."