Chapter 22

Phi was quiet as she stood in front of me saying nothing just holding my hand waiting patiently for me to process. "Well this is very certainly the biggest definition of irony that I have encountered in my life. How could I have been in such a rush that I forgot to ask Ricky if he had anything?"

"Shit happens babe." She said as she wiped away the million and one fallen tears on my cheeks. "I hate to be the one to state the obvious but no matter what decision you make, Ricky deserves to know." 

Even if her words were factual, the thought of the news leaving this room was nerve-wracking and very terrifying. "I know Phi, I know but after the show when I can sit him down and not have to worry about ruining their performance." 

"That's sweet of you honey but anxiety kills you, and we both know it." 

 "I know, you're right." I took a deep breath to clear my brain a little bit. "But I'm just scared of how he will react." All of a sudden a picture of Ruby and I's kiss popped into my head. " Oh my god," I lifted my head off the door frame. "how will Ruby react?" 

"How will I react to what?" Both Phi and I looked over at the doorway to see Ruby standing there and it didn't take long for her to notice my tear stained face. "Sawyer? What's wrong?" 

I thought about quickly hiding my tears and denying that anything was ever wrong but I can't hide anything from her and she wouldn't ever let it go until I told her. I wiped my face and the hair away from my face, took a deep breath and mustered up as much courage as I could before looking Ruby in the eye. "I have something to tell you, sit down." 

I turned towards Phi. "Can you go get Ricky? I'd rather tell them at the same time." 

"Sure love, I'll be right back." My best friend kissed my forehead before leaving. 

"Babe what's all this about?" Ruby looked cute with her eyebrows furrowed in a confused expression but I couldn't think about that right now. 

"What I have to tell you is just easier with both of you in this room but I can tell you that I think I have the answer as to why I've been sick lately." 

"Oh?" Before I could answer, Phi walked back in with an equally as confused Ricky. 

"Ricky please sit down, I have something to tell you." 

"Me and Ruby together?" He said gesturing between them. The pregnancy test was burning a hole in my pocket as he sat down on the other side of the couch. I looked around the room to notice Phi had slipped out to give me a private moment. Bless her heart...

"I guess there's no better time like the present. So um...I've been sick lately." I said sitting down on the vanity stool and putting my hands together in my lap as I looked up at their faces to see Ruby nodding but Ricky's look of confusion suddenly mixed with one of concern. 

"You have?" I nodded slowly. "Are you okay?" 

"I mean I'm fine, I thought it was just from jet lag travel but Phi started asking me all these questions and it started sounding like more than that." I got up from my seat, blowing out a breath and running a hand through my hair before pulling the test from my pocket and placing it on the table in front of them. "I'm pregnant."

"Pregnant?" Ruby questions as she picks up the test. 

"Apparently." I looked over at Ricky as he looked at me. 

"You think I'm the father?"

"Ricky I don't think, I know. I don't mean to sound cliché but you're the only man that I've ever slept with."

"How? We used a condom." 

I shook my head. "No we didn't. We were in such a rush that I forgot to ask if you had one."