28

*Zayn's POV*

I sat opposite Zayn on a table in the canteen, nibbling on a portion of chips and sipping a can of Coke.

"I'm sorry about Ruby, mate," Liam spoke after at least five minutes of silence.

"It's shit," I sighed. "I can't get her out of my head."
I hadn't been able to stop thinking about her for days now. She consumed every thought I had, and I'd dreamt about her for the past two nights.

"I feel bad for you," Liam sympathised.
Eve walked over as he spoke and threw her legs over the bench to sit beside him. He turned to her with an enormous smile and they shared a small kiss.

"Well, at least you're loved up... right in front of me," I bitterly commented, shoving three chips into my mouth.
"Sorry," Eve apologised.
I shrugged. "Don't worry."

"I think she's just being stubborn, if it makes you feel any better," she gave her opinion, but it didn't reassure me.
"It doesn't. It's Ruby. She could be 'stubborn' for the next twenty years."
"That's true," she admitted.

"I guess I'll just have to forget about it," I sighed.

From behind me, Niall sprinted up, jumping up like a hyperactive child as he held onto my shoulders, causing me to groan.
He sat down beside me and gave me one look before pointing out, "you look fucking miserable."
"A bit," I shrugged.

"I know what'll cheer you up! Bonfire night!" Niall was overly enthusiastic for a Monday morning.
"How's that going to cheer me up?" I rolled my eyes, impatient already.

"Bonfire night is on Friday night!" He reiterated. "Where are we going to watch the fireworks?"
"Who cares?" I huffed.
"Don't be a Debbie-downer," Niall rolled his eyes, "the fireworks are ace."

"I agree," Liam chimed in.
"Yeah. What's our options?" Eve also seemed enthusiastic.

"There's a big display being put on at my football club? That's an option, if none of us want to be responsible for setting them off," I suggested.
"Well, I'd say that it's a bad idea for any of us to do it. I can imagine it going horrifically wrong," Eve gave her two cents.

"Yeah, the football club sounds good," Liam nodded.

"Zayn? You in?" Niall checked with me.
"Sure," I shrugged, unenthusiastically.
"Can you remember to bring your smile, mate?" He jokingly poked me.
I shoved him harder than he expected. "Shut up," I huffed.

***

*Ruby's POV*

"... and I mean, it pissed me off a bit, because he -"
I allowed my words to trail off as Louis and Lana both laughed at whatever they were watching on Lana's laptop screen.

The three of us were sat in a vacant classroom on our break, and they sat on chairs at a desk near the back of the room, sharing headphones while watching something on the laptop.
I sat cross-legged on top of a desk at the side of the classroom.

"Are you two listening to me at all?" I snapped.
"Sorry, Ruby," Louis weakly apologised.

"What are you even laughing at?" I demanded, crossing my arms in front of me.
"We're watching High School Musical," Lana grinned, happily.

"High School Musical?" I narrowed my eyes, unimpressed. "That's more important than listening to my problems?"

Without looking up, Louis replied, "when your problem is self-inflicted, then yeah."

"What's that supposed to mean, dickhead?" I raised my voice, ready for a confrontation.
"It means you fucked up," he responded casually again, before him and Lana both laughed at the laptop again.

"I fucked up?" I was almost yelling, but Louis wasn't fazed.

He finally looked up. "Yeah. You kissed Harry. That was a bad move."
"It might not have been the smartest move, but it was the move most appropriate for the situation," I scowled, defending myself.

Louis scoffed and chuckled at the same time. "Yeah, of course, I know. When someone declares their love for you, of course you have to go and kiss their best mate," he sarcastically spoke, looking down at the laptop again.

"You're making it sound like I'm the bad one," i sulked.

Louis looked up at me properly this time, his entire focus on me. "Look, the whole thing is toxic, Ruby. Both of you can be very toxic. But Zayn stepped up and admitted his feelings. He also stepped up and apologised when he fucked up. You didn't. And now the ball is in your court to make this entire situation less messy, and yet you're sat here bitching about it to anyone who'll listen rather than admit your feelings."

I let my jaw drop slightly. For the first time in a long time, I had no idea what stubborn thing to say to defend myself.
Before I could even think of anything, Louis had changed the subject. "Hey, Niall's text! We're going to his football club for bonfire night."
"Oh, cool," Lana smiled.

"Fuck you," I snapped, jumping off the desk and storming to the door.
They both remained unfazed, laughing at another scene as I slammed the door behind me.