7

*Ruby's POV*

Eve, Saffron and I sat side-by-side near the end of the beach.

"What was that little talk with Zayn before?" Eve pried.
"Oh, just private stuff... like how I'm going to fuck him senseless in my car when we leave." I smiled, watching their jaws drop. And then I added, "oh, Saffy, you'll have to ride with someone else."
"Nice." Saffron rolled her eyes and spoke sarcastically.
Eve giggled, shocked by my behaviour, which wasn't a rare occurrence. "You're despicable, Ruby."
"Anyway, what about your conversation with Liam?" I changed the subject.
"Alright, I guess." Eve shrugged, giving away little detail.
"Do you like him?" Saffron quizzed.
"I don't know. I feel like I should, but I just don't know." Eve answered, before finally turning the attention to Saffron. "And what about Niall?"
As she asked, the three of us turned to the rest of the group who were huddled around the fire, and saw him and Marley laughing together.
"I think I may be second choice." Saffron sounded disappointed and defeated, and my heart broke for her and the hopes she puts on things.
"I think it's a bit shit for Marley to be flirting with him like that when you've really openly -" Eve winced as she said the last couple of words, remembering the situation with Saffron admitting she fancied him, "said that you liked him."
"Well, fuck them." Saffron confidently replied, although the hurt and rejection plastered on her expression said otherwise.
"Let's not let it cause problems though, right?" I encouraged. I sympathised with Saffron's feeling of rejection and the upset it caused her, but we'd met these boys today, and I wasn't petty enough to believe that Marley was doing anything wrong by taking an interest in an available boy.
"Right." Saffron agreed, but I couldn't have been less convinced.

"Get over here, girls!" Louis shouted over, motioning for us to return to the group.
"Come on." I grabbed Saffron's hand and pulled her up, sensing her reluctance to sit anywhere near the boy she'd placed her hopes on and her friend that was crushing them hopes in front of her eyes.

The three of us sat down with the other seven.

"Well, I just want to say how happy I am that we've met you girls. You seem really cool." Louis gushed, complimenting us.
"Yeah, we are." Saffron told him, half-jokingly and half-serious.
"And I hope we can stay this close." Louis continued. "I think we've made some good friends here today, everyone."

Harry led the group and began clapping at Louis' speech.
The clapping was - for the most part - sarcastic, and Louis reciprocated it with a dramatic "thank you, thank you" and a bow.

"Anyway, are we heading?" Liam stood up. "I'm getting tired."
"Yeah, and I have to catch up on Bake Off." Eve stood up, too.
"Exciting lives you two live." I sarcastically commented before standing up as well, "but let's go."

***

The ten of us walked back up through the muddy lane and into the car park.
We all said our goodbyes, Louis insisting on exchanging a hug with everyone and then made our ways to our cars.

"You coming, Zayn?" I called before opening the door.
"Yeah." He nodded, breaking away from his hug with Louis and approaching my car to get into the passenger side.
"Wear a condom!" Harry called behind us, and we both giggled.

***

Zayn and I drove with Cast No Shadow by Oasis playing through the speakers.

"So, do you live near the college?" I asked as I drove.
"Somewhere near there."
"And you don't drive?"
"No, I do." He told me.
"You just didn't drive today?" I continued questioning.
"No, I like walking with my music on if I get chance."
I nodded, relating to that. "I get that."

"So, were you and the girls all close in high school?" Zayn wondered.
"Yeah, I mean, pretty much." I answered. "Saffy, Eve and Lana were friends first, but Marley and I started hanging around with them in the past couple of years. And before that, I didn't really have any friends."
"Really? A little loner?" He teased, causing me to roll my eyes.
"I liked it that way." I shrugged. "I didn't think I needed friends."
"And you do now?"
"No, I don't need them now. I just realised they were nice to have." I explained.
Zayn smiled to himself before muttering, "interesting."
"And what about you and the boys? Close throughout high school?" I returned the question.
"Yeah. I mean, I was last to start hanging around with them. I didn't have many friends before that, either." He admitted to me.
I smirked. "We seem quite similar."
"Yeah, we do." He smiled at me.

I looked from his smile, to his eyes, to his lips, and then briefly at the road before turning my steering wheel on a sharp angle and pulling into a shallow ditch.
"Woah!" Zayn called out. "What the fuck are you doing?"
"Well, I'm not going to be able to fuck you while I'm driving, am I?" I rolled my eyes as if it was an obvious answer and pulled my grey sweatshirt off over my head.
Zayn's jaw dropped again and I took it as an opportunity to passionately kiss him, removing his t-shirt as well.

***

I collapsed back onto the driver's seat once we'd both finished, out of breath and satisfied.

"That was pretty fucking good." Zayn panted.
"Yeah, I'm impressed." I smiled. And I was. Zayn had known every right place to touch, every right place to kiss and made me cum in less than ten minutes.
I turned the key in the car and began to pull out of the shallow ditch. "Now roll a joint and direct me to where you live." I ordered.

***

"Turn left." Zayn ordered and I did, shocked at how close we were to my house. "Now go straight and it's your second right."
"No way." I gasped. "You live on the street over from my house."
"Really?" He raised his eyebrows.
"Yeah, your back gate opens up to the lane opposite my house." I told him. "How have we never met before?"
"We only moved to this house last month. We lived in a tiny, overcrowded house before then." He explained to me.

We pulled up outside the house Zayn directed to me.
"Well, it's certainly not tiny now." I stared at it.
"Yeah, I mean, it's not huge, but it's more than what we had."
"I know what you mean." I told him. "We moved to a decent house from nothing, so I get it."
"When did you move?" He asked.
"A couple of years ago. I always lived on a council estate, and then my mum met her boyfriend and we got financially stable enough to buy a house. It never bothered me anyway though, you know, being in a council house."
"So, do you like the boyfriend?" Zayn pried.
"Honestly? He's pretty cool." I nodded.
"That's good."

"Go on then, get out." I pointed to the car door. "I'll see you tomorrow."
"See you tomorrow, Ruby." Zayn smiled as he opened the door and hopped out, before peeking back in and whispering, "I had fun."
"I knew you would." I smirked.