❝ CHAPTER 18 ❞

▌Chapter 18 ─ Make A Scene ▌

Chapter 18 ─ Make A Scene

━━━━━ CLARA STOOD WITH Ben and Riley in Paris, France as Riley flew his drone towards the Lady. Clara was amused by what Riley had been doing with the drone.

"This is, like, impossible what you're doing." Ben told the man.

"Glad you're enjoying it." Riley replied.

"Laboulaye had to leave a clue somewhere on here. Move in on the torch."

"Let me get there."

"Closer."

"It's not as easy as it looks."

"No, I... believe me, I understand."

"Excusez-moi, messieurs. Vous parler un instant?" Ben and Clara looked back at the two men, then they walked together looking before they crossed the bridge.

"Excuse me, officer. May I help you?" Ben asked them.

"Ah. Americans, huh?" Ben and Clara made it to the other side and looked at the officers. "Of course you see no problem in disturbing everyone's pleasant morning with your buzzing there."

"Hey... do you know how much of our Constitution was influenced by your man Montesquieu?" Ben asks.

"You know Montesquieu?"

"Oui, Montesquieu. Yeah. A government should be set up so that..."

"...no man need be afraid of another." Clara smiled at the two.

"Oui."

"That's very good."

"Thank you. Merci."

"Ben, Clara... I got it. I got it." Riley said as he ran across the street and over to them. He then handed the device over to Ben and Clara so they could look at it. "I hope you read French."

"May I?" The officer asked.

"Trs jolie." Ben said handing it over to him.

"He's a cop."

"Um, 'Across the sea, these twins stand determined...'?"

"Resolute."

"Resolute, yeah. 'To preserve what we are looking for.' Uh, 'Laboulaye, 1876.'"

"Six."

"It's a clue."

"These twins stand resolute. Let's see... resolute twins. Resolute. Resolute." Clara looked down at the floor as she thought about the word Resolute, she kept repeating it in her head. "And then twins. Siamese twins? Siam? Trade routes between France and Thailand? That's ridiculous. HMS Resolute. A British ship that got lost in the Arctic in the 1800s. It was salvaged by American whalers, then Congress sent it back to England. When the ship was finally retired, Queen Victoria had two desks made from its timbers. Voil. Resolute twins." Ben explained.