❝ EPILOGUE ❞

▌Chapter 27 ─ The City Of Gold ▌

Chapter 27 ─ The City Of Gold

      ━━━━━ MITCH LED THE way, Ben followed behind him, followed by Riley, Clara and Abigail. They walked out of a tunnel, Clara could hear water pouring out somewhere.

"I can't see anything. Is this it?" Riley asked them. Ben walked away from the four, Clara looked around. She agreed with Riley they couldn't see anything but there had to be a way that they could.

"It's oil." Ben said, causing Abigail and Clara to look at him. Ben removed his backpack and grabbed a hold of a flare. Pulling the cap off of it he lit the flare and held it down to the oil watching it catch fire and move down. Then he walked to the other end and did the same thing. It allowed them to have some more light. They walked forward looking for a way out.

"It's a dead end. There's no way out. We have to turn back." Abigail said Ben and Clara walked on the rocks that were covered by water. "There's no forward!" Clara noticed Ben leaning forward, so she leaned forward and saw the same thing that he had seen.

"It's not forward, it's down!" Ben shouted. "All this water has to go out somewhere, otherwise, it'd be filled up!" Clara looked around searching for an exit that would be somewhere. Ben saw something and left Clara's side, she turned slightly and saw a wheel that Ben was moving towards. "Help me turn this wheel!" Clara walked down and stood next to Abigail, once they were all there they started to turn the wheel. The blonde looked around as the water that was coming in was starting to slow down.

"The water's goin' down." Mitch said.

The group moved onward heading down a set of steps. Clara was careful to make sure that she didn't slip and fall as they walked further and further down. They headed down a rock-like hallway and Clara came to a stop as she looked out at what they were looking at. Clara smiled brightly seeing the city of gold in front of them.

"Ben! Ben!" Clara heard Ben's parents calling out. Clara looked up to see Patrick and Emily alive and well.

"Dad! We found it!" Ben shouted, causing Clara to laugh at his excitement.

"Thomas was right!" Patrick shouted back.

"No, you were right!" Patrick and Emily started to walk down the steps while Mitch looked at Ben.

"I'm sorry I smeared your great-great-granddaddy's good name. It seemed like the only way to get you in on the hunt. But this was a chance for the Wilkinson family to make its mark on history - to find the City of Gold, to be remembered." Mitch explained to them. Clara walked down the steps and followed behind Ben as he moved towards his parents.

"What happened to you? Your father was worried sick about you." Emily said, as she hugged her son. Clara smiled at the woman as she moved down to give Clara a hug.

"She was frantic. She was frantic." Patrick said.

Emily and Clara pulled away as Abigail came up to them and proceeded to hug Emily. "Dad, coming through, did you happen to see-"