❝ CHAPTER 14 ❞

▌Chapter 14 ─ Love and Treasure ▌

Chapter 14 ─ Love and Treasure

━━━━━ CLARA WATCHED AS the dumbwaiter came down towards them soon stopping. Ian looked at the other four that were on the other side of the steps.

"Get on." Ian said, still looking at them.

"Ian, it's not worth it." Ben told him, not wanting to risk the danger of anyone else.

"Do you imagine any one of your lives is more valuable to me than Shaw's? We go on."

Clara sighed, lowering her head slightly. "The status quo." Patrick breathed out. "Keep the status quo."

Ben helped Clara over to the other side, Patrick grabbing her and pulling her towards him. Soon the other's including Ben climbed into the dumbwaiter. From there they moved down to their next destination. Abigail held onto the fire, while Clara stood in the back near Patrick. Ian was next to her. Ben held onto the rope as they moved closer to the end.

"Now what?" Riley asked.

"This is... This is where it all leads." Patrick said, as Ben threw the rope over catching it on a pole.

Ben pulled on the rope allowing them to move closer, Riley helped him. Once they reached the other side he tightened the rope making sure the dumbwaiter would stay in place. He took the light back from Abigail stepping off of it.

"Okay, let's go." Ben said, looking around.

Ian was the second to get off, also looking around. They moved forward while Riley stepped off, turning back towards the others and helping Abigail though she didn't need it. Patrick placed his arm around Clara's back while Riley helped her off. Once they were all off they proceeded to move forward.

Ben was the first to enter the next room, he turned slightly, moving the torch over to another torch that rested on the wall. He moved into the small area looking around, Ian following behind him. Clara looked around seeing if there was anything that might lead them to the treasure. She walked over the wall examining it, Patrick walked over to one of the lanterns and allowed the fire to run around inside of it.

"What is this?" Riley asked.

"So where's the treasure?" Powell questioned.

Ben removed his hand from the wall, looking back at Ian and Powell. "Well?" Ian questioned him.

"This is it?"

Clara looked at Ben seeing the sadden look that rested on his face, but she knew he was in fact faking it. So she decided it would be best to play along as well.

"We came all this way for a dead end?" Riley said, continuing to ask Ben questions.

Ben lifted his hand to his forehead, sighing. "Yes." Ian turned away laughing, not wanting to believe Ben.