❝ CHAPTER 9 ❞

▌Chapter 9 ─ Reagent ▌

Chapter 9 ─ Reagent

      ━━━━━ CLARA AND ABIGAIL stood next to Ben ready to handle the document if need be as both were trained to do so. Riley stood next to Clara, as Ben placed the Delectation of Independence down on the table.

"Looks like animal skin." Patrick announced, peering around the corner. Clara smiled briefly, still looking down at the document. "How old is it?"

"At least 200 years." Ben replied, looking at him.

"Really? You sure?" He continued to pester the four of them, while Clara examined the Declaration of Independence.

"Pretty darn." Ben simply responded.

"Now if this thing's in invisible ink, how do we look at it?" Riley asked the three, clearly not knowing the answer to his question.

"Throw it in the oven." Patrick told them, walking closer.

"No!" Abigail, Clara, and Riley exclaimed looking at Patrick.

"Ferrous sulfate inks can only be brought out with heat." Patrick advised them.

"Yes, but this..." Abigail went on to tell him.

"It's very old. This is very old, and we can't risk compromising the map." Ben replied, staring at his father.

"You need a reagent." Patrick said, turning to walk away from them.

"Dad, it's really late. Why don't you get some rest?" Ben asked him.

"I'm fine." Patrick said from another room.

Ben looked at Clara who only smiled at him, she knew they really wouldn't be able to get him out of the way while they looked for the map.

"Lemons." Ben called out, Clara watched as Riley picked up the cut lemons and handed them over to Ben.

He took the bowel in his hand and picked up a single slice of lemon, moving it over to the map. Both Clara and Abigail exchanged a look with each other, knowing that wasn't the right way to go.

"You can't do that." Abigail uttered.

"But it has to be done." Ben told her.

"Then someone who is trained to handle antique documents is gonna do it. That is both Clara and I." Abigail said, staring at Ben.

"Okay," Ben replied.

Ben nodded his head, handing the lemon over to Abigail. She briefly looked at Clara who shook her head.

"Now, if there is a secret message, it'll probably be marked by a symbol in the upper right-hand corner." Clara explained, as Abigail leaned over to grab a swab to lather it in lemon juice.

Ben couldn't help but smile at her, "that's right." He replied.

"I am so getting fired for this."

They all placed their eyes on the document as Abigail began to spread the swab across the right-hand corner. She then removed her hand and they waited for something to appear. Clara sighed, feeling disappointed in trusting Ben again.