❝ CHAPTER 13 ❞

▌Chapter 13 ─ A Dumbwaiter System ▌

Chapter 13 ─ A Dumbwaiter System

      ━━━━━ CLARA WALKED IN front of Abigail and Riley as they walked into the church. One man was in the front leading them, and the other was behind them. He pushed through the doors and the other's followed behind him. Clara's eyes landed on Ben who turned looking at her as well as Riley and Abigail. Clara turned walking between the benches soon sitting down. Riley and Abigail doing the same while Ian's men sat behind them.

Moments later they watched Ben and Ian sit down as well. Clara watched intently as the two discussed, she knew they were getting close she could feel it. Ben and Ian stood up and soon they stood up. Riley and Abigail followed behind the other's while Clara was behind them with Ian's men still behind her. They came to the back of the church, Clara placed her eyes on Ben who had been waiting at the door for her.

She walked up to him, turning to stare at him. "I'm so sorry, Ben." Clara apologized.

"None of this is your fault. I could..."

"Come on."

The man pushed Clara away from Ben causing her to turn around and walk down the steps. They came down to what looked like the boiler room. Clara stood near Riley and Abigail looking at the words that laid on the stones.

"Hey! Par... Hey, I found it! Him!" Riley called out, gaining Ian's attention.

Ian walked over to Riley taking a look at what he had found. "Ben! It's a name." Ian announced just as Ben walked over to him to examine it.

"Parkington Lane. He was a third-degree master mason of the Blue... Hey! Stop!" Ben shouted, as one of Ian's men came up running with a large wrench.

He swung forward swinging it into the stone to break it apart to see what was there. Clara moved back slightly as they all watched him break the stone. All the men including Ben pulled the casket out, soon holding it in front of them. Clara watched as the corpse of Parkington Lane broke free from the wood and fell towards the ground.

"Whoa!"

"Careful no one steps in him. All right, put it down." They proceeded to do just that, once they finished they turned towards the entrance looking into it.

"Okay. Who wants to go down the creepy tunnel inside the tomb first?" Riley asked everyone.

"I'll go." Clara said, causing them to all look back at her.

"Right. McGregor, Viktor, you stay here. And if anyone should come out without me, well, use your imagination. Shall we?" Ian questioned looking back at Ben.

Ben climbed in first, holding onto the light he led the way. Riley helped Clara climb into the small tunnel, she looked back to see Abigail and Riley soon following behind her. One of Ian's men held his hand out to her, helping her out of the tunnel. She turned back towards it holding her hand out for Abigail who came out of the tunnel shortly after. Clara allowed Abigail to walk up behind Riley who passed Ben. Abigail soon passed him following behind Riley.