❝ CHAPTER 22 ❞

▌Chapter 22 ─ The Oval Office ▌

Chapter 22 ─ The Oval Office

      ━━━━━ CLARA SAT DOWN in a chair, she was exhausted to say the least but they had to figure out the truth. Ben would periodically look back at her to make sure she was okay, he knew something was off but she wasn't talking and no matter how hard he tried to get it out of Abigail she wouldn't budge either.

Patrick walked back into the room with a book in his hands. "'The Resolute desk is near the south wall in the oval Office.' Look at this. Look." He placed the book down on the table.

"Small door on the front desk." Ben said, pointing to the picture.

"FDR had that out in so that guest couldn't see his wheelchair, but─"

"Guys... take a look at this." Riley said, pointing to the screen.

"This could work." Abigail told them.

Ben looked over at Abigail. "Why, Abigail, I do believe it's time for you to make a date with your new boyfriend."

"I think you're right."

───── ❝ ◂ ❚ ⊱ꕥ⊰ ❚ ▸ ❞ ─────

Ben walked with Clara, the two had their hands connected as Abigail also walked with them. Children were running around searching for eggs for the Easter hunt. Clara had a smile on her face.

"Is that Connor in the bunny suit?" Ben questioned.

"Ooh, thank you." Abigail said, as she grabbed the bunny from the bunny. "I've never been to an Easter egg roll before. It's sweet."

"Yeah, I love it." Ben said.

"It'd be perfect to bring kids here one day." Clara said, as she continued to look around. Ben briefly looked at her, while Abigail laughed.

"Hey, I know you." Ben and Clara turned around to look at the child that stared up at them. "Your great-great-grandfather killed President Lincoln."

"Oh, my." Clara breathed out, looking away.

"No. That would be John Wilkes Booth." Ben replied, starting an argument with him.

"Eisenschimmel says that Booth was just a tool in a greater conspiracy that involved men in Lincoln's own cabinet."

"Absurd. Eisenschimmel's book is filled with spotty research and false assumptions."

"Oh my god, he's fighting with a child." Clara said, as she looked over at Abigail.

"Oh, yeah? How do you explain why Lincoln's bodyguard left his post that night?" Ben leaned down slightly.

"Because President Lincoln was never accompanied by guards when attending the theater─" He looked away for a brief second. "Are you listening? ─ especially on Good Friday."