❝ CHAPTER 26 ❞

▌Chapter 26 ─ One Step At A Time ▌

Chapter 26 ─ One Step At A Time

━━━━━ CLARA WALKED INTO a section of the temple, you could tell that it hadn't been in contact with humans in a long time. She was excited to be here to witness something so amazing.

"Oh. Ben, look at this. Oh, that's beautiful." Emily said, as she looked over at her son. Clara held her flashlight down and turned it on so she could look around with light.

"Ben, what is that?" Abigail asked the man.

Ben looked at what Abigail and Clara were looking at. "Appears to be a counter weight to hold the door open." Ben answered.

"What is that sound?" Riley proceeded to ask, as he looked around.

"Fascinating."

Clara walked away from Abigail to look at the walls, there wasn't much on them, but there were markings. She looked over at Riley as he moved his hand towards something that was wrapped around one of the wooden posts. It broke off causing Riley to scream and back up. Ben grabbed a hold of Clara and kneeled down with her as everything fell down around them. Abigail looked to her friends, as Patrick called out for them. When the dust settled Ben and Clara looked around.

"Sorry." Riley said, as he looked at everyone.

"You ok?" Mitch asked, walking over to Riley and holding his hand out to him.

"No." Riley answered, leaning up slightly and grabbing a hold of Mitch's hand. Ben moved away from Clara running back towards the door to help his father open it. Clara walked over to Abigail who pulled her into a side hug.

"I'm ok, Abigail." Clara said, seeing the concerned look on her friend's face.

"I just had to be sure." Abigail replied. The two then looked over at Patrick and Ben as they struggled to get the door back open.

"It's locked." Patrick informed them.

"Patrick, what have you done?" Emily asked him, as she walked over to them. Clara and Abigail had moved towards the door to try and help them get it open.

"It's some kind of bolt. I didn't do it." Patrick said, placing his eyes on his ex-wife.

"Only one way outta here now." Mitch said, turning around to look back at the others. They all turned, shining their lights at him as he showed the way. "Forward." They proceeded to move on, Clara stayed close to Ben. As they moved further into the cave, relics started to appear. Clara could tell that they were old and hadn't been seen by humans.

"Oh, I've never seen so many relics so beautifully preserved." Emily said as she looked at each of the relics in the portion of space.

Mitch climbed up onto a piece of bricks looking ahead of them. "Looks like we're gonna be moving some rocks, people." Mitch told them. He held his flashlight up so they could see what he had seen. "There's a tunnel back in through here." Ben, Clara, Abigail, Patrick, and Emily looked at Mitch for a brief moment.