❝ CHAPTER 7 ❞

▌Chapter 7 ─ Silence Dogood ▌

Chapter 7 ─ Silence Dogood

      ━━━━━ CLARA SAT NEXT to Abigail while Riley sat in the passenger seat and Ben had been packing back and forth holding onto the container that held the Declaration.

"You have the original Silence Dogood letters?" Abigail asked him, watching him continue to pace back and forth. "Did you steal those, too?" Her question earned a glare from Clara.

"We have scans of the originals. Quiet, please." Ben said, briefly looking at her.

"How'd you get the scans?" Abigail was filled with questions, Clara stared at Ben as he turned around once again.

"Oh, I know the person who has the originals. Now shush." Ben said, walking to the end of the van and turning around again.

"Why do you need them?" Abigail said, causing Clara to laugh just a little.

"She really can't shut her mouth, can she? Does she talk this much when you two work together?" Ben asked looking over at Clara, who looked at him.

"No, this is normal." Clara replied, leaning against the passenger door.

"I'll tell you what, look. I will let you hold onto this if you'll promise to shut up, please. Thank you." Ben said moving over to her and Clara handing the case over to Abigail.

"I wouldn't do that." Clara whispered.

Abigail of course took the case and held onto it. Clara kept her eyes on Abigail knowing very well that she was going to run for it now that she had her chance.

"Ben, you know what you have to do." Riley said, tapping the van.

"I know what I have to do. I'm just trying to think of anything else we could do." Ben said, looking at Clara for a brief second.

"Well, not to be a... nudge, but you do realize how many people we have after us. We probably have our own satellite by now." Riley said, reminding him.

"We could go back to my place but we don't have anything there. Or you could just push past it and we could go see him." Clara said, taking her eyes off of Abigail.

She looked at Ben who turned away from the three of them. "It took you all of two seconds to decide to steal the Declaration of Independence." Riley added.

"Yeah, but I didn't think I was gonna personally have to tell my dad about it." Ben said as Abigail picked herself up and began to run away from them. "Hey, not cool! Not cool!" Ben said, chasing after her.

"Called it!" Clara said watching Ben chase after Abigail, soon catching her and lifting her up off the ground.

"Let me go!" Abigail said while Clara stood up from where she was sitting and Riley opened the door.

"Ok. You're let go. Go, shoo." Ben said, waving her off.

"I'm not going. Not without the Declaration." Abigail said, trying to pull it away from him.

"You're not going with the Declaration." Ben told her. Clara sighed as the two continued to argue back.

"If you two are done bickering can we get back to the situation?" Clara asked, causing the two to look back at her.

"Look, if you wanted to leave me behind, you shouldn't have told me where you were going." Abigail told him.

Clara sighed, sitting back down while Riley groaned letting his head fall back. Ben seemed to form no words, as he couldn't think of a response to what she had said. They got back into the car, Riley pulled out of the grass and started to drive to Ben's dad's house.

"You know I still keep in touch with your father right?" Clara asked him, leaning forward.

"Yes, I know." Ben simply replied. Clara watched as Riley came to a stop in front of Ben's dad's house.

"Looks ok." Riley said as the four looked at his house.

"Park a couple of blocks away."

"How long do you think we got?"

"I'm gonna give them a couple of hours at least. I hope." Ben said as he began to remove his bow tie.

"What do we do about her?" Riley proceeded to ask looking at Abigail. "I've got some duct tape in the back." Riley added as he pulled away from the house. Abigail and Clara looked at Ben.

"No, that won't be necessary. She won't be any trouble. Promise you won't be any trouble." Ben said, looking at Abigail.

The blonde sighed, "I promise." Abigail said, eyes wondering from each person that resided in the van.

"See? She's curious." Ben said while Abigail looked away in shame.

Clara couldn't help but laugh at her friend, while Ben looked back at her. Clara opened the side of the van allowing Abigail to get out first, Ben held out his hand to her helping her out. Clara climbed over to the edge, Ben turned back holding his hand out for her, a smile resting on his lips. Clara of course smiled and placed her hand in his, allowing him to help her out of the van. Abigail could really see the love that the two shared, and she realized that it never went away.

Ben closed the van and the four left it walking on the sidewalk heading back to Ben's dad's house. Once they got there Ben and Clara stood in the front while Riley and Abigail stood slightly behind them but they could still be seen. Ben looked over at Clara who nodded her head, Ben leaned forward, pressing the doorbell. Seconds later the door opened, revealing Ben's dad.