Mariposa

A beautiful morning arrived in Manila. In a crowded city, the sun shined the building, and the light could pass through windows.

In the Marcovaldos' room, the sun's light pointed at Giulia's closed eyes, since she slept on the top bunk bed, before it pointed at Albert's eyes, who was sleeping at the bottom. Both kids of the bunkbeds woke up at the same time, and noticed their father wasn't on his bed anymore. They figured he was probably downstairs, cooking breakfast.

In the Paguros' room, Luca was alone in the bedroom as the sun shined before his eyes, causing him to wake up. He yawned while stretching his arms wide. He almost forgot that they were no longer in Portorosso or Genova anymore. They were now outside of Italy, and stayed in a country called the Philippines for the entire Winter vacation. Even if they were in a different country, Luca noticed the morning sun never changed like in Portorosso.

All three children came out of their bedrooms, and raced down the stairs.

Downstairs, Massimo preheated the Biscotti on a wood-fired oven, and Daniela and Lorenzo helped him serve on the table with Grandma Paguro already sitting down.

"Buongiorno!" Giulia greeted happily.

"Morning, mom, dad," Luca hugged both his parents before kissing his grandmother on the cheek, "Grandma."

"You kids have plans today?" Grandma Paguro asked.

"Well, we don't want to sit around for the whole vacation. We decided to go out, see what the Philippines have," Alberto answered.

"But we just got here. We don't know what was out there! We don't know much about this place!" Daniela shrieked worryingly.

"It might be dangerous out there!" Lorenzo added with concern.

"Mom, Dad, Alberto and I went to Portorosso for the first time, and yeah, we had a few bumps along the way. It wasn't easy. But we were fine then," Luca explained.

"Yeah, we just have to lay low, act human-y, like these people out there," Alberto pointed to the people outside by the streets, who were talking happily with each other, buying breakfast, and driving vehicles who were stuck in a traffic jam, "Yeah, they act casually."

While Daniela and Lorenzo glanced at each other with concerned eyes, Massimo was also concerned for the children. They were new to the place, and they might get lost or get exposed as sea monsters for Luca and Alberto.

Giulia saw the worried eyes of her father as she pleaded, "Per favore, Papa. I'll keep an eye on them."

"Ha! You're not our babysitter!" Alberto laughed.

"But I'm the only human in the team. When we first met, you were almost exposed. Glad I was there before you got yourselves wet," Giulia pointed, "I'll keep you from getting wet, and dry you two off when something happens."

Massimo sighed proudly, seeing how responsible and independent his daughter is to keep two of her best friends safe. He then told a worried Daniela, "They are full-grown independent children now, Signora. I think they know how to keep themselves safe from the outside world if they learn."

Daniela exhaled. She was a caring and protective mother towards Luca all her life, and she wanted to keep him safe. But, she also wanted her son to grow up, but she can't let him grow up if he can't go on his own, especially in a new place, not in Portorosso or Genova, "Alright. But just be careful."

The trio cheered in excitement.

"Won't you join us for breakfast first?" Lorenzo showed them a plate of Biscotti, but the three instead took a few of them.