Learning About Portorosso

At the apartment, Massimo was making dinner, and Daniela and Lorenzo were putting down plates and forks on the table.

"I hope the kids won't be late this evening," Daniela said with worry

"They'll be fine. They got home safe every evening when they visited their new friend," Grandma Paguro reassured her daughter as she ate a cracker.

Just then, the door opened, and the three children came in.

"Buona notte, Papa," Giulia called.

Massimo turned around when he heard his daughter's voice, which means the boys were there as well, "There you are, regazzi. Do you already have dinner with your friend?"

"Actually, we brought our friend for dinner instead," Luca mentioned.

"Oh, you do?" Lorenzo asked surprisingly.

"Yeah, she's alone for now, so we invited her for dinner," Giulia explained as she and two boys moved aside to make space for their friend to enter from the door, "Everyone, meet Mariposa!"

With that, they expected Mariposa to enter, but she didn't. The adults were still waiting and felt confused.

Not even a second the Filipino girl entered, Alberto grinned, and said, "I'll go get her," he ran outside to retrieve their friend, "Get in there!"

"This is stupid!" Mariposa's soft but denying voice was heard outside.

"You think it's easy?!"

"Then stop dragging me!"

"Go!"

The next thing they knew, Alberto forcefully dragged Mariposa inside with her heels still pinned on the ground. When they got in, Mariposa squeaked when she finally saw her new friends' parents for the first time, and nervously wore her hoodie.

"Hello there, young lady," Lorenzo approached her, and extended his arm for a handshake.

But Mariposa just stared at him shyly with her eyes sparkled like a nervous baby, and her head sunk into her jacket. She was so shy to meet new people, even those who were older than her. She wanted to say something or shake Lorenzo's hand for meeting him, but she was only frozen nervously while whining like a cad puppy. She kept sinking her head into her jacket until only her eyes remained shown.

"Oh, she's a shy one. Just like you, Luca," Grandpa Paguro commented as Lorenzo put his arm down, understanding that the young girl was shy.

"Yeah, just like me," Luca chuckled nervously.

"You're just in time for dinner. Take a seat," Massimo requested.

As Giulia nodded, she and Alberto decided to help their father prepare dinner, while Luca found his seat next to his mother, and Mariposa found a spare chair. She sat on it while trying not to make eye contact. She still has her hoodie on.

A minute later, Giulia served a plate of pasta in front of Mariposa. She, Alberto, and Massimo placed their own plates and for the Paguros on the table before sitting down.

"Trenette al pesto," Massimo announced tonight's dinner, "Mangiamo."

Everyone started eating, but Mariposa was a little hesitant at first. She had never heard or seen this dish before. And more importantly, tasted it. She sniffed on the dish first, then took a fork to get some of it. She only looked at the gathered pasta on the fork before looking at her friends.

Giulia gave her a thumb-up, and Luca nodded at her as they gave her the looks of encouragement that she should try the dish.

Mariposa sighed as she nervously but quickly ate the pasta, and shut her eyes close while making a couple of chews before opening her eyes again.