Connected

When the sun finally set, Luca, Alberto, Giulia, and Mariposa made it back to the Paruparo household with them dragging a wagon of their music instruments. All the way, they've been watching kids caroling in front of every house. Only Luca and Alberto were confused why kids do that around here, but Giulia and Mariposa understood that.

"Ugh! What a day! It's like the time went slow here in Manila," Giulia sighed exhaustingly.

"I thought the same in Summer. It's extremely hot here," Mariposa agreed as she took the wagon from Luca, volunteering to take the instruments back into the house.

"It doesn't snow here?" Luca asked.

"No. The Philippines is a tropical country. It never snowed here," When Mariposa opened the door, the whole house was a wreck as her siblings and cousin caused chaos all over the place. Realizing the house was too chaotic for her and her friends to rest, Mariposa closed the door and turned to the trio, "You know, maybe we should stay out here where it's quiet and not too crowded," she put her instruments back into the wagon, and pointed to the tree behind them.

Luca, Alberto, Giulia, and Mariposa were now sitting on the tree that was surrounded by parols with different colors and Christmas lights.

"Mariposa, this is beautiful," Luca commented while staring the lights and star ornaments around the tree.

"I always sit on my tree whenever I want to be alone with my thoughts and all... where I can't be bothered by my family... where I can be what I imagine to be," Mariposa said.

"It's so cool. It reminded me of my treehouse back home, and I can see you have lights too," Giulia giggled while looking at the Christmas lights around the trunk of the tree.

"Actually, these are Christmas lights, they will be removed when the Christmas season is over," Mariposa explained, "Hey, we're gonna win this thing!" Then, she asked curiously, "Why do you want to help me win?"

"Well, we figured you might need it," Luca answered calmly.

"At first I didn't, but now I realized it, I do need help winning this competition," The Filipino girl admitted.

"How about you? What'll you do when you win?" Giulia questioned.

Mariposa chuckled, "I'll get up in front of everyone and say, 'Told you I'd win! I'm the greatest singer in the world!'"

The trio cheered one with her.

"And then what?" Alberto inquired.

"Well, I'm going to display my trophy, and that's it. That's what I'm going to do. Look, ever since I was little, everywhere I go, like in school and around the neighborhood, everyone thinks I'm just some kid who doesn't belong. They think I'm... weird," Mariposa explained.

Giulia nodded, "Been there. During school season, I lived with my Mama in the city called Genova, and every summer I lived with my Papa in Portorosso, but everyone thinks I'm weird too."

"I know how you two feel," Luca spoke.

"Yeah, me too," Alberto added, kicking his foot.

"Exactly! That's why we gotta win. Everyone will cheer our names, and Paolo's life will be destroyed!" Mariposa exclaimed before covering her mouth, "Sorry. Is that a little too much? My family thinks it's evil."

"No, no, it's not evil, because Paolo deserves to be destroyed!" Alberto smirked in agreement.

"And then if I win, I would have him, Crispin, and Yolando dig their own graves!" she added.

"Mariposa, that's kinda dark," Giulia commented.

"No, it's not. I can imagine it right now," The Filipino girl said as she imagined her "evil" plan for her bullies.