48.

"Your majesty, what should we do now?"

Biyu sat at a broken down house near the hills that faced Cressida's palace. She glanced down the hill and stared at the far palace. Her escape wasn't the easiest of all things she's done, but it was by far the most satisfying.

"Isn't it strange, Yibo?" Biyu's voice was quiet but even then, the latter could still hear the slight sorrow laced in her voice.

"Is what strange, your majesty?" Yibo took a small step towards Biyu.
"Longwei spoke to me 2 days ago and I cannot stop thinking about his words.." Her eyes never left the view of the palace and Yibo kept quiet.

Yibo was a friend of Biyu's since they were 7 - two years after the great war. Yibo was a peasant while Biyu was turned into a royal. Yibo always snuck into the palace and met Biyu in her room. The two always played together for hours...

that was until a certain incident.

Yibo and Biyu were now 15 years old. They sat facing each other, both with a paint brush in hand. Marks and symbols were scattered all over each other's bodies.

They were happy like this.

Hierarchy was a border that they crossed. They weren't separated from each other despite their different classes.

"Bobo that's unfair-" Biyu whined, grabbing the paint brush from Yibo's hand and dragging it along his arm. The both of them burst into a fit of laughter.

Naturally as they laughed, they both leaned in closer. With Biyu's forehead resting on Yibo's shoulder, they smiled brightly at the close contact.

As happy as they were, happiness never lasted long.

The door to Biyu's room opened. The sound of a tray of food dropping onto the ground with glass shards everywhere. Panic and fear already began pumping through the two of them.

"Biyu!"
"Mother.." Biyu shot up from the floor and stood in front of Yibo's shock figure.

"What..what treacherous things are you doing!?" The queen pointed her finger at Biyu and her eyes shakily scanned the amount of paint and brushes she found in the room.

"Mother..he's just-"

"Enough! The boy either leaves now or I make him leave." Yibo shot up to his feet and took ahold of his bag. He placed a peck on Biyu's head and left through her window.

Biyu watched as he jumped out her window and ran off into the distance. She hesitantly turned her head to her mother.

Her mother stormed over to Biyu and grabbed her wrist tightly. She raised Biyu's arm to her eyes and looked at all the paint strokes on her arm.

"This is what I buy you rare paint for? Playtime?! I warned you once about not being proper!"
"Mother no!" Biyu pulled her wrist away from her mother's grip.

"I don't care if I'm the princess of Arete! I'm not a princess and I don't want to be!"

"Really? What do you wish to be then? A peasant? You would've died during the Great War if not for us!"

Biyu took a step back from her mother and shook her head violently. "I didn't want to be saved! You don't know my life before the royalty! I would've rather dying than continuing to life like this!"

Enraged, her mother swiped her hand over the closest surface, knocking down multiple papers and photos, even a ceramic vase.

"You, come here!" In utter shock and panic, Biyu couldn't find herself moving a single muscle. Instead, she could only watch as her mother walks closer. Her mother grabbed onto her wrist and dragged her towards the door.

"You will go to Cressida and we will arrange a marriage with Prince Longwei." Hearing the words made Biyu push herself to the ground. Her palms rested behind her for support as she looked up at her furious mother.

"No! I love Yibo and I will not marry any other man! You can't make me marry someone I don't love!"
"You want to marry a peasant instead of a prince? Have some common sense Biyu! Either you marry Cressida's prince, or you can watch that boy die."

"What is it that he said?" But Biyu kept quiet. Words swarmed her mind like little bees, buzzing everywhere and repeating the words.

"He said Xiaomei and I are similar. Hatred I feel to her is just jealousy...but what is there to be jealous about?" Yibo sighed and sat down beside Biyu.

Although Yibo never said it aloud, he agreed that they were slightly similar in some ways.

"Maybe it's something you haven't opened your eyes to."

backstories are great, love them <3imma start focusing on biyu and who she is for the next few chaps

imma start focusing on biyu and who she is for the next few chaps

also this book may end soon.... :0