Chapter One part two

• Dedicated to Stephanie Blakely

"Pazzazz, hair up!" their coach's voice echoed from the other side of the gym. She was standing with Rachel and Allyson. Monique, known as Pazzazz to the coach, looked at her wrist where she normally had a hair tie to pull her hair back, but she didn't. She felt someone tap her on the shoulder, and she turned around. She saw Jamie holding out a hair tie, and took it with a smile putting up her hair.

"When did you get here, Jamie?" Asked Hannah as they walked over to the rest of the team.

"Right after you guys did," said Jamie. "I just wore my leotard under my clothes." They stood next to Rachel and Allyson in front of their coach.

"Maya and Brooke are late again." said Coach Stephanie. She had been their coach ever since they were in elementary school. That was when they went to the gymnastics center, and when they knew her as 'Miss Stephanie'. She stopped teaching them when she left for college.

Now she was back as not only their coach but as the school counselor. So, not only did they get their coach back, but they also got a psychology major to go with her.

"They're always late." said Rachel. Stephanie shook her head and reached down to her bag, taking something out of it. She handed a piece of paper to Hannah before turning away from them.

"Start your warm ups, while I see if tweedle-dee and tweedle-dumb are in the locker room." She walked toward the exit. Hannah took the timer off the bench and turned to the team.

"Should we start then?" She asked

"That's what Coach said," Allyson took the list out of Hannah's hands "Looks like Coach added time onto everything." Rachel looked over her shoulder at the list.

"Not everything. Just the pikes, butterflies, straddles..." She took the list from Allyson

"So, basically everything," Jamie took it from her.

"That's only because she knows someone has been slacking off," said Athena, taking the list from Jamie and looking at Monique.

"Can we please just start?" said Monique as she took the list from Athena and rolling her eyes.

In the locker room, Stephanie had just walked in hearing laughter from the other side of the room, where the team's lockers were. She made her way down the isle hearing the laughter getting louder. Once at the end of the isle, she saw Brooke and Maya sitting next to their open lockers. It appeared that they hadn't even started getting ready.

"Brooke, Maya. You're already late and you decide to chit-chat on my time," She said. Hearing her voice Brooke turned around looking at her and shoved Maya in the shoulder, who was still laughing. "Get ready and in the gym in five minutes or you'll have more chin up's then you have already added up by being late today." She pivoted around to leave and started walking to the door.

"Oh great," said Brooke

"Now we're in trouble," Maya reached for her open locker and pulling out her leotard. Brooke pulled out her leotard and threw her backpack into her locker.

"So we're late, she doesn't have to rip our heads off," she took off her shoes.

"But this is like, the sixth time in a row we have been late to practice." Maya looked at her.

"Oh, yeah."

Back at the gym the girls were doing their stretches in pairs. They were sitting in the usual circle stretching their legs in butterflies. They all had their usual partners. Monique and Hannah pushed each other to no end, getting pay back for when the other pushed to hard. Athena and Allyson, the sweet-hearts who never said or did anything to hurt anyone. Rachel and Jamie, who were always quiet and well-mannered.