Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Meanwhile upstairs...

"What's wrong Mo?" Matthew asked.

Monique was sitting on his bed, head in her hands, crying. Matthew sat down next to her and put his arm around her slouched shoulders.
"You know you can tell me anything."
"It was freshmen year, Hannah had just broken up with Skyler because he cheated on her. Athena and I thought going to a party would cheer her up. Little did we know HE was there. Halfway through the party, around 10 o'clock, I was trying to find Hannah and Athena when Skyler corner me in an empty hallway. He... He was gonna..." Monique whispered. Matthew stopped her then. Monique's eyes were glazed over with unshed tears, her voice hoarse with uncertainty.
"Hey, hey it's alright baby." Matt whispered, "You don't have to continue."
"If I don't continue, I never will..."
"Alright, if you're sure."
"He had me pinned against a bedroom door. He tried to kiss me but I kept shaking my head. He was shedding his jeans when Hannah walked by. She must've heard something because she turned down the corridor and found me curled in a ball in the corner, with Skyler hovering over me. That's how Hannah walked in. She grabbed my hand, slapped him, and pushed me out the door to her car. We never talked about it after that night. It was an unspoken promise." Monique finished grimly.
"Oh, princess. I'm sorry." Matthew hugged his girlfriend.
Just then, Brennan knocked on Matthew's door frame.
"Hey, you ok?" Brennan walked in with Hannah trailing behind, they were followed by Nash with his arm on the small of Athena's back.
"Why didn't you tell me?" Athena wondered aloud.

"Because I just couldn't. It was too embarrassing."

"But we could've gotten you help." Matthew pointed out.

"And given you support." Athena said

"I just... I don't know. I was scared and I felt like I had to figure it out on my own." Monique whispered not realizing she had started crying again.

"Ok ," Matthew said, "I think Monique needs to get some rest. So we will see you in the morning."