Chapter Thirty-Three: Labour

Marinette was swiftly moved from the emergency waiting room to a bed in the natal ward, and changed into a hospital gown. She was having contractions about a minute apart and was in a lot of pain to say the very least. Luka held onto her hand tightly, letting her squeeze if she needed. There were a few times where they thought she had broken Luka's hand.

"Alright Marinette, I'm going to need you to give me a nice big first push," the nurse asked kindly, gently placing her hands on Marinette's thighs. Marinette took a few deep breaths before giving a nervous first push. It wasn't her strongest, but it definitely pushed the baby towards its exit.

"You're doing great sweetheart," Luka told her softly, his hand already hurting from one squeeze. Her contractions eased foe a while, perhaps an hour or two before they flared up again. They were worse this time. Much worse. She pushed again and again, and the nurse explained that she could see baby number one's head.

"I can't do this anymore!" Marinette screamed as hot, salty tears streamed down her face. Luka made gentle shushing noises in an attempt to calm her and henceforth ease her pain, but it didn't help much. Sabine and Tom were told to sit in the waiting room as they only allowed one person in with a patient at a time.

"Yes you can baby, I know you can. One more push and one of them is here," Luka explained calmly, trying to get her in a better state of mind. Marinette took one deep breath before giving it her all. And with that one push, little Eloise arrived into the world. It only took one more gentle push, and Jamie along with her placenta came out.

They bestowed Luka with the honour of cutting the umbilical cords, before handing Marinette's babies to her. With one in each arm, Marinette cried with bith pain and joy of finally having her babies with her. She momentarily handed them back to the nurses to get cleaned off and soon enough, it was Luka's turn to hold one of the babies.

He was given Eloise, and he cried like, well, a baby. Marinette was once again given baby Jamie and the two were a pair of sobbing wet rats. Due to the fact it was a relatively quick labour and she hadn't torn anything, they moved her into the post-natal ward and allowed her visitors to see her in pairs at a time.

The reason for this was that literally all of her friends had shown up to the hospital. She could thank Alya for that later. The first two in were Alya and Nino. Alya was very excited to see her niece and nephew and it was at this point where Marinette asked Alya and Nino a very important question.

"Alya, Nino, will you be their godparents?" Marinette asked softly as her babies slept in her and Luka's arms. They both nodded, feeling honoured to have such a role. It was the next day that she was released from hospital with her two bundles of joy.

They had bought another bassinet about a week prior to Marinette going into labour. When they arrived home at the bakery, Marinette and Luka laid their babies down in their bassinets and went to bed themselves. It only took about five minutes for little Jamie to start crying. Marinette was exhausted, but went to get up anyway. It was Luka that stopped her.

"I'll take care of the little ones. You can sleep for a while, you need it," Luka explained softly, trying not to wake Eloise. Marinette simply nodded and laid back down. It didn't take long for her to drift off into a dreamless sleep. She woke up about two hours later to Luka singing softly to the two newborns.

You are my sunshines,
My only sunshines.
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know dears,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshines away.

The two babies slept peacefully as Luka sung to them, changing 'sunshine' to be plural foe obvious reasons. Marinette smiled at him tenderly, making her way over to him and hugging him. She nuzzled her face into his chest.

"Will you go on a date with me tomorrow? I have something I want to show you," Luka asked no louder than a whisper. Marinette went to protest, but was cut off by him.

"I've already asked your parents and I bought formula for Eloise and Jamie. Don't worry, they will be fine without breastmilk, I should know. I couldn't have breastmilk and was raised fully on formula," Luka explained. Marinette nodded and the two went to bed for the rest of the night.

The next morning, Marinette woke up alone. Luka was gone, his sode of the bed made up neatly with a small note on his pillow. Marinette furrowed her brows in confusion, but read the note anyway.

'Good morning my melody, I hope you slept well. I have a little scavenger hunt set up for you today and there's a surprise waiting for you at the end. Go to where we first met, that's where your first clue will be. I love you so much.' - Luka

Marinette immediately got dressed and went downstairs to her parents, each holding a baby. She gave both of her children a light kiss on the forehead before grabbing her bag, leaving the house and making her way to Luka's old place.

What was going on?