Chapter 1: To Lose a Child

"Wow, that was actually pretty interesting Princey." Virgil commented, sounding impressed as Patton balled into tears. "Patton are you okay?" Virgil asked, worried as Patton went into a coughing fit. "My poor son!" He cried, causing Janus to give him an offended look. "Yes, because he's in such terrible hands, six of them in fact." Janus scoffed, causing Patton to laugh a little in understanding, wiping away his tears.

"Sorry Janus, I didn't mean it that way... But it's still sad that I lost my son." Patton sobbed. "Patton, I'm right here, don't worry." Virgil assured him, unsure how to feel about Patton's devastation at the idea of him being stolen away in a fictional story. "Okay, I'll be okay." Patton hiccupped, accepting a handkerchief Janus hesitantly handed him with a grateful thank you. "You sure you'll be okay?" Thomas asked, looking at Patton in concern. "Yeah, keep reading Virgil, I want to know what happens." Patton coughed.

"No, you read the introduction, give it back. Thomas has things to do." Roman argued, and Virgil chuckled before looking at the others. "Show of hands, who doesn't want me to continue?" He asked the others. Logan raised a hand, as did Roman.

"And who does?" Virgil asked, raising his hand. Janus raised six hands and Thomas raised one as well. Patton finished cleaning his face and calmed himself down with a deep breath before also raising his hand. "Looks like I'll keep reading." Virgil taunted as Roman covered his face with his hands, sitting down in defeat.

"It's actually really good so far, I don't know why you didn't want us to see it." Virgil admitted as he flipped to the next chapter. "You think so?" Roman asked, unconvinced. "Yeah, it's kind of parallel to real events too in a way." Virgil admitted, and without further explanation, he continued his reading.

***

King Patton stood by the empty cradle that remained in its spot for the same twenty years, spending the anniversary of his son's disappearance mourning the loss. Joanne's spell had kept him from searching for his son or even processing his disappearance, but after her passing, Patton had begun spending most of his free time by the cradle, singing to himself.

"Yes I know it's dark here... Oh how it is dark here... Can you hold my hand? I'm falling through the air, you're following close behind, and I'm afraid I can't catch you, I'm afraid to land. You don't know the pain, I hope you never do, I'll never stop working and I'll make a plan, do whatever I can until I find you. Sleep well my son, a man no longer a boy. Sleep and you'll find me when the struggle is done, and I'll be there sobbing with tears of joy." Patton sang as he rocked an empty cradle, the royal messenger eyeing him with pity as he did.

Patton jumped, startled by his messenger clearing their throat. Tears burned the King's face, and it stung when he wiped them away, forcing a smile as he turned to his visitor. "Any news from the other Kingdom? Or from the knights about my son?" Patton asked hopefully. "Not from the knights, unfortunately, but from the other Kingdom, yes. The King has accepted your request to meet at his castle, you may begin travelling over today." The messenger replied. "Excellent, send for Sir. Logan and ask him to meet me outside with the royal carriage. Be sure to let him know to prepare for a two day trip there and back." Patton requested before heading for his room to pack his things.

"Falling is scary, and flying is impossible. Be safe, my son, and learn from Icarus. Ever be nearly, ever be part of the possible, ever have pace, to come, and if you can rush. Don't burn from the sun, or crash into the sea, and as soon as you can please come back to me. For I will be there to hold your hand, and there to catch you when you land. My Angel with waxed wings, may I spoil you with pretty things, may I rescue you from the dangers that keep you from my arms, and protect you forever from that serpent's cruel charms." He sang with a strained voice as he collected his things, wiping away tears with his nightshirts before packing them. Hopefully with the help of his friend's Kingdom, who had also had a son stolen from Stilskin, Patton would be able to find his own.