Chapter 4: To Be Saved and Startled

"I have a bad feeling about this..." Virgil muttered as they walked down the forest trail, jumping out of his skin with every unexpected noise he heard. "Relax Virge, if anything attacks us I can protect you." Remus assured him, transforming his own staff into a mace before transforming his cloak into a shield. "See? Easy." He cheered before returning them to their original forms. "Fine, I guess." Virgil muttered, a chill racing down his spine when he heard a loud shriek, followed by a few black feathers falling in front of him.

"We should go back and leave in the morning, Dad always said not to go into the forest at night." Virgil suggested. "Dad says not to do lots of things at night... Actually he technically says to do them at night but you know it's Dad. Something about a moon goddess he pissed off, sounds like superstitions to me." Remus reminded him. "Besides, that was probably just some crows fighting over territory or something like that." He added, collecting some of the feathers before continuing down the path. "Yeah, maybe..." Virgil muttered, shivering and rubbing his arms as he peered into the depths of the forest, seeing a large, hunched over figure with the posture of an owl ready to swoop down glaring at him.

Virgil bolted to catch up to Remus, and the moment he did, many terrifying creatures charged towards from the trees, talons ready as they let out horrible screeches. Remus quickly created a shield and gave it to Virgil before forcing him to crouch down, one of the creatures attacking Remus as he did. Remus growled at the vulture like creature before swinging at three of them with his mace. While Remus dealt with a flock, three others were attacking Virgil, who was breathing rapidly from under the shield. He prepared himself for death, and in his state of panic, he could barely process the yell he heard from a distance.

Following the yell, someone ran over and placed their foot down on the shield, using it as a platform to leap off of. Afterwards the harpies were silenced, and all Virgil could hear was Remus's panting and a voice he didn't recognize. "Are you two alright?" He asked. Virgil came out from under the shield, seeing the man crouching down and offering a hand to help Virgil up. Virgil blinked at him in confusion, unable to recognize the man at first as he accepted the hand and was helped up. "Thanks..." Virgil muttered. "I had it handled you know." Remus insisted. "No you didn't." Virgil muttered, letting go of the stranger's hand before walking over to his brother, who was gripping his shoulder in pain.

"This was a bad idea..." Virgil grunted as he forced Remus's hand off the shoulder and saw the lashes left behind by the harpy's talons. "Perhaps I can be of assistance?" The stranger offered, dusting off a few wounds of his own. Virgil peered at him in confusion, eyes widening as the man's injuries instantly vanished. The man smiled and ran a hand through his hair to neaten it before approaching Remus. Hesitantly, Virgil stepped out of the way, recognizing the man as he healed Remus's shoulder. "Thanks... Hey, wait a minute!" Remus murmured, coming to the same conclusion as he and Virgil shared knowing looks. "Is this you?" He asked, pulling out the poster of Prince Roman for the man to see.

Roman smiled brightly and nodded, posing gracefully before bowing towards them. "Yes, it is I, Prince Roman of Magination. I am on a noble journey to find my missing brother, I'm sure you've heard all about the missing Prince Remus." Roman answered before rising. "Remus?" Virgil asked. "We heard of him, but I didn't know his name was Remus." He then quickly added, pausing to think before quickly dismissing it as a coincidence.

"So you've heard of me but not my brother? Fascinating." Roman gasped, seeming oddly pleased by this. "We live under a rock." Virgil admitted. "Yeah, but your poster is everywhere, hard not to know who you are." Remus chuckled. "Is that why you're wearing that?" Virgil then asked, gesturing to the Bard get up that had made it harder to recognize him. "Yes, seems the disguise isn't enough though if the two of you recognized me." Roman sighed.