1

Sarah closed her book as morning settled in Birmingham. She loved the mornings. An end to sleepless nights and something or someone to look forward to.

Sarah walked down the stairs towards the kitchen as voices could be heard there. Upon entering she could see Polly sitting on table giving instructions to the servants and already sipping on brandy.

"You're up. " Polly warmly smiled at the young women who always have been least of her worries.

Sarah nodded and settled on her seat.  She couldn't sleep all night.  Thoughts of how Tommy was to marry in three weeks to love of his life and she will be left alone forever and ever haunted her mind.

Maybe I deserve this. Shaking the ruthless thought out of her mind she took a sip of the tea.

Soon everyone started pouring in the dining room and chatters of the marriage could he heard.

Tommy sat right across her going through paper and ignored her presence completely.

"I'm leaving for London today. " She announced softly and Arthur took notice immediately.

"Wait for the wedding Sarah?"

"Not really, I need to settle things in the clinic. Don't worry I'll be back soon".

Sarah assured Arthur and felt piercing gaze of Polly over her. She was like a big sister to her.  Always noticing her and making sure she was fine.

Ada chuckled and looked at her "sister-in-law".  "Your absence wouldn't make a difference you know".

Ada and Sarah were always fighting as if there is no other rivals to ever exist on planet earth.  They just didn't blended well.

"I'm sure your wouldn't either. " Sarah replied softly and left without finishing her cup of tea.

Tommy didn't acknowledge her leaving nor did he asked her to stay.

That's how it has been for the past 8 years.  In some business deal she was married of to Tommy when she was just 18.  Since then her whole life has been like a soulless shadow in background in Shelby's life.

She never asked for that name of respect but she wished she would have care or love of Tommy but it never happened.  Well now he is about to marry his love of life so hope is just a myth at this point.

She finished her degree a few months a back and decided to open a personal clinic in London. She can work here and not worry about who is sleeping with her husband.

Entering the clinic she noticed something was different. She couldn't put a finger on it.

"Ma'am you are back. " Alex, her helper in the clinic welcomed her warmly.

Sarah nodded and took off her coat.  "Well what have you been up to?" Sarah could see the excitement in his eyes.

He was a bit slow and too naive but at the end he did got things done.

"Well yes,  you see these files in shelves seemed very out of place so I re-arranged them".

"Okay? In what order?"

"T-they were in order?"

Sarah facepalmed hard. All the files were arranged in alphabetical order and was easy for her to spot them.

"ALEXXXXXXX" Sarah shouted as Alex scurried back in the clinic trying to explain to her that it looked pretty in "his" eyes.

Sarah was done helping Alex to rearrange the files. Not sleeping a night before was a bad idea as her body was feeling weak.

Taking her coat she decided to take a walk nearby. Her clinic was situated right at the start of Camden town. She often took small walks around the area but never went too far.

Tommy allowed her to build a clinic here as long as she isn't a hurdle to his business. So much for being the wife of a reputable gangster.

Walking down the road she heard noises down from alleyway. Usually she would take a de route and never look back but not enough sleep and hearing about Alex's files aesthetic stories made her do otherwise.

Peeking from just the corner.  She saw a bunch of men cornering a frail looking boy.

"Tell me boy, how much do you value your life?" A guy asked the boy who trembled even further.

The guy has a rough look to him with jewelry and white shirt on.  He had a beard and looked like would pop your eye out if you look him in the eye.

"I asked you a fucking question mate.  ANSWER ME!!" His voice roared in the alleyway,  making Sarah jump lightly in her shoes.

Upon closer inspection she saw the boy.  She gasped as she recognized him. He often came to her clinic to get medicine for his sick father.

Sarah was worried that these men would kill him. Stepping into the dark she called out the men. "Please consider showing some mercy. "

Alfie looked back at the sweet voice that called him out.  A young women dressed in white dress with black coat over it stood in the entrance. Almost looking a like angel was there to protect the young boy.

The boy immediately went to her and stood behind her mumbling something into her ear.

"I owe Mr. Solomon's some money and he wants it back. " Sarah heard the boy plead in her ear.  She can't quite recall his name so she nodded and took a step forward to this so called "Mr. Solomon's".

"Sir, this young boy is very poor and I feel he can't pay you back right now. Please spare his life. " Sarah spoke as gentle and lightly as she could.

She saw Mr. Solomon's flick his finger as all the men around them took a few steps back.

"Well who might you be sweetheart?" He asked a deep voice with very thick accent.

Sarah gulped and ran hand in her hair. What am I doing here? Thinking to herself she made a strong eye contact.

"I'm Dr. Sarah and my clinic is just down the road sir. "

"A doctor eh, how about you pay me on his behalf?" Alfie wanted to see how much this young women can offer.

"5-500 pounds" The money I was going to use to buy a dress for my husbands wedding.
Well atleast it's going to a good cause.

"Deal it is my dear. I'll come and pick up the money soon. " Before Sarah could ask or say anything he left with his men leaving a deep impression on her.

The young boy is called Milo and lives outside of London. He worked in Mr. Solomon's or Alfie Solomon's bakery and accidentally (he called it an accident) and took 100 pounds from his office.

"You stole Milo, and you deserve the punishment. " Sarah poured tea into his cup as he fidgeted with his fingers.

Hearing from Milo, Alfie was boss the of Jewish gang based in Camden. He was ruthless and just everything you need to stay away from.

Sarah wasn't quite sure why she was so intrigued by him.  Was it the scar below his eyes or just his mannerism with her that attracted her?

It was next day and she was sitting in her clinic asking Milo all sorts of questions about this supposed "Baker".

The bell rang as the door was opened. Sarah stood up immediately welcomed by a bit more refined Mr. Solomon's.

"Hello there love. "

And Sarah was in for a big big surprise.