9

It's been 6 months since Sarah left the Shelby's behind. Living with Alfie she was having a dream, a dream soo good that makes here want to stay it in forever.

Alfie was busy in his office as Sarah was getting ready for her clinic. As much as she was happy here, the thought of Tommy never coming after her truly scared her.

How come he never came back for her, or talked to Alfie?

Wearing her favourite Pearl earrings that Alfie gifted her she smiled at her reflection in the mirror. She was truly happy.

Phone rang downstairs as she rushed down barefoot, feeling the cold of the house seeping into her bones.

It was never hot in here. Back at Tommy's she rarely every felt cold, maybe it was the warmth of the family being around her?

"Hello. " Picking up the receiver, Sarah heard a very distraught Ada on the other side.

"S-sarah, it's hmm........ " Ada was struggling with her words as frantic shouting were heard behind her.

Sarah felt her heart sinking, something was wrong.

"ADA SPEAK THE FUCK UP!!!!" Sarah shouted alerting all the maids in the house.

"Sarah Grace has been shot. "

Putting the receiver down Sarah felt something heavy in her chest. How can Grace be hurt? Why didn't Tommy protected her?

Rushing up in her room, Sarah wore her coat and boots, picking up her bag leaving the house in a hurry.

Walking into Alfie's office, she swallowed her saliva hard looking for him. His assistant emerged from the dark.

"Mam he is not here. " Upon hearing the words Sarah felt the weight in her chest doubling. What was happening.

"W-where did he go?" Sarah's voice was barely audible. The machines and worker were creating a havoc around the office.

"Mam do you want me to say something to him?" The assistant ignored her question and looked at her up and down.

Sarah nodded, scrabbling a few words on a paper and giving it to him. "Make sure you give this to him. "

Without hearing a yes in response, Sarah rushed out.

For the past couple of weeks, London was pretty much close. All the political parties were having protests and she was just walking out of city hoping for a ride.

"Why am I so worried?" Sarah asked herself walking on the wet path, slowly taking in everything that was happening. Grace being hurt probably means Tommy is not going to be in a good state of mind.

She always thought of Tommy as a protector, someone who can protect her family and everyone around him, yet this incident shows that even Tommy has no control over life.

A car passed through stopping a bit ahead. Sarah reached the window as a handsome young fellow peeped his head out.

"Lady, where are you going?" The man asked as she looked back at hopes of a can but nothing was in sight.

He had the most fierce blue eyes ever, almost hypnotizing her.

"I'm headed to Birmingham sir." Sarah was freezing outside. He hair was flowing in all directions as the blue eyed man nodded.

"Come on in lady, you ain't getting a ride there. "

Sarah was hesitant at first but she needed to be there as fast as possible.

I mean what could go wrong. Thinking to herself Sarah hopped in. It was warm inside as she sat opposite of the young man.

He had a beard with fine tailored black suit on. The inside of the carriage smelled fresh and not like smoke. She just hanged around people who smoked a lot.

Setting her dress, she sighed throwing her hair back covering herself with the coat.

"M'lady my name is Archie Barnard. I'm from London. " Archie introduced himself with a wide smile easing her anxiety a bit.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Barnard, my name is Sarah Shelby, Dr. Sarah Shelby. "

She never signed the divorce papers, cuz she never received them. She herself was not in hurry nor did Alfie ever talked to her about it.

"Oh you are a doctor, interesting. " Archie laughed looking out of the window.

Soon enough they reached Shelby manor. Sarah immediately hopped out of the car, as Archie threw his card at her.

"IF YOU EVER NEED TO HAVE SOME TEA IN LONDON VISIT ME DR. SHELBY. "

Sarah shoved the card inside her bag, rushing inside. There was dead silence inside. Ada was sitting on the stairs smoking, looking behind her.

"They are upstairs. " Ada mumbled taking a long hit of her cigarette.

Sarah reached the hallway as whole family was gathered outside Tommy's room. Grace was inside.

"They are trying to save the baby. " Polly told Sarah lighting hugging her. She herself wanted to check on Grace but it was probably not the right thing to do.

Tommy was looking out of window standing all alone. She did not had the heart to ask what exactly happened.

The door opened as a young male doctor walked out.

"Which one of you is Sarah?" Upon being asked everyone looked at her.

"Me, it's me. How is she? How are her vitals?"

The doctor nodded his head in a no, telling everyone what it pretty much confirmed.

"We saved the boy, but she has lost too much blood, she is asking for you miss. Sarah. "

Sarah's heart dropped upon hearing the words. She entered the room, as Grace was laying on bed taking her last breaths.

Her baby boy was laying right next to her, as Grace slowly rubbed his head.

"Look Sarah, my boy is so handsome. " Grace coughed up some words barely making any noise.

Sarah nodded and sat next to her. "Grace, you will be-"

"You need to give me a promise, I don't have much time left. " Grace played back straight looking straight up.

Sarah holder her hand to encourage her.

"S-sarah stay with Tommy till the end, protect my s-son and don't ever leave him. I'm leaving my most precious things at your h-hands. Stay with my boys. "

Sarah sobbed upon hearing the words. This was a huge responsibility and she had no idea how to respond.

Grace coughed hard, spewing blood out, making Sarah panic. "Grace let's talk later, let me get the Doctor!!!"

Grace squeezed her hand, shaking her head.  "He truly loves you Sarah and I can't have him alone, he will destroy himself, he will burn everything. He can't loose both of us. " Grace took a deep breath as she smiled at her boy.

Not seconds later, Grace's grip loosened on Sarah. It was no more there.

"NO GRACE, WAKE UP,  NO!!!!!" Sarah screamed checking for a heartbeat as everyone rushed inside. John separated her from Grace who layed there cold.

Tommy looked at Sarah and then at Grace. It was over for him.

-----------------------------------

Hey guys, what's happening?

Grace has left us. Say your prayers.

Please leave a comment or two, it really encourages me to write more.

Peace.