Chapter 1| Yellow Alstroemerias

1997- W A Y N E    M A N O R, Gotham

Bruce was really starting to get annoyed at the man. He had dropped her off a couple months prior to their current month, January. Even though he said this 'business trip' will take mere days, it had been 3 months since the man had gone. 

Bruce had started to notice how that Mai-something kid stayed out of his way, flinching at every glare he gave her. He was pleased. At least she wont bother him. He was too busy with the final preparations for his night ventures, and their new branch in Finard, along with the quarter year reports from each of the other branches throughout the world to care had spend time with the child, no matter how many times Alfred had tried to make him do so.

He skipped breakfast whenever he that the child was there, and went the day without food. Due to that, the child stopped coming at the time she usually did. Eventually, as Alfred relayed to him, she had stopped eating. Well, more for him.

Right now, he was working on some documents. Then he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in."

Alfred walked in with a tray of refreshment in his hands, and placed it beside an ink pen on Bruce's desk.

"Thank you, Alfred. You're surely to be one of the best butlers I have met in quite a long time."

"I'm the only butler you've ever met, sir." Alfred remarked. Bruce gave a light, breathy chuckle.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Sir, Ms. Tasman's friend have arrived. Shall I let them roam the house, or directly escort them to her room?" Alfred asked. Bruce was not expecting that sudden change of topic. But then he remembered. A couple days back-- or maybe weeks--Alfred came up to him asking if the critter could have...other little critters over. Bruce immensely trusted Alfred with decisions. That and he was in a coffee/sleep induced haze when he said 'Yes'.

"Take them to her room. I wouldn't want them to break anything they can't pay for." Bruce replied. "Also, any news from Mr. Leviathan?"

"No, Master Bruce. I fear to tell you that it is likely she has been abandoned." Bruce went still. Abandoned? With him? Who in their right mind would even think of such a thing? Mr. Leviathan apparently, because now he has a whole ass child living under his roof! Permanently!

Bruce laughed. Then he looked at Alfred's serious face. Then he laughed again.

"Wi-With me? *wheeze* Someone left a w-whole ass child with me?" and he continued to laugh. His booming laughter filled the halls. Slowly that laughter turned to sobs. Stress from all the different things going on in his life made him deny this with all his might. He didn't want a fucking kid. He was only 24.

Outside, unknown to the two men, four little kids stood in shock, especially Maisara. They quickly ran away from the door and went back to her room. The playdate had become oh-so awkward. Everyone gave her weird stares-- they didn't want to play with an abandoned child. They wanted to play with someone fun, and happy, and rich! But they were stuck here for another hour, so what were they to do? 

Everyone had grown awkward. Everyone except one young boy. Oliver Greenwood. The boy was undoubtedly the quiet kid of the class, and just happened to sit beside the out-going Maisara. He couldn't help it, and fell for her friendship trap eventually, but in truth, he liked her. He liked the way she stayed with him through everything, the way she smiled at him when he was upset, and they she gave him her lunch when he 'forgot' to bring his.