Chapter 12 | Bright Pink Dahlias

Maisara and Oliver both walked down to the shore of the beach. They had gotten Alfred to take just them without telling Bruce. Bruce wouldn't notice as he wouldn't be up for the next few hours, considering it was just sunrise.

"Doesn't the sun look so pretty?" Oliver remarked as they walked with joined hands towards the sea.

"I think the night sky is prettier," Contradicted Maisara.

"Why?"

"Because of the stars." Maisara breathed in. Oliver started laughing. "What?" Maisara questioned instinctively, thinking he was laughing at her.

"Look up dummy." He smiled. Maisara did as told, and surely, there they were. The stars shone brighter than ever, a trace of the moon remaining.

"Woah." Claimed Maisara, immersed in wonder. They both stayed quiet like that and walked towards the water with their hands entangled as Maisara looked up at the sky. Then she glanced at Oliver and a question popped up into her mind.

"Why?" She asked.

"Hm?" Oliver replied.

"Why do you like the sun?"

Oliver blushed, but the night offered him no shelter. Maisara saw it visibly. He mumbled the answer under his breath.

"What? Speak up Ol," Maisara prompted.

"Because it reminds me of you" he spoke out. Maisara smiled.

"That's good." She said, looking into his obsidian eyes, "Because the night reminds me of you."

"What in God''sname..." Maisara trailed off as she entered her room. It was decorated from top to bottom with things she liked, be they streamers or banners, or bears.

At the center of it all stood her only best friend; Oliver Wood. He stood straight holding a small gift box, his lips curved into a smile Maisara loved.  He wore a suit, looking like the man he had become.

"Happy birthday to you," he sang, "Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday day Mai Mai, happy birthday to you."

Maisara's hand had unintentionally covered her mouth. Bruce and Dick had both forgotten this year.  Her own family had forgotten yet he...

She flew into his arms and he spun her around. Her chest felt lighter than ever.

"I love you so much," she mumbled next to his ear.

"I love you too. Now," he pulled away and handed her his gift "open it"

The box was the size of her palm. She gently removed the cover, and once she saw what was inside, she inadvertently gasped.

The most beautiful necklace lay there. It was not gold or diamond. This was something far more precious.

It was a sunflower, or half of it at least, handmade out of leather strung onto a chain. In small writing, the text that was written was cut off but she knew it by heart.

She brought it up to the sun. Oliver's heart became elated at her reaction, and he revealed his bracelet and the other half of the necklace. He bought it close to the necklace and the pendant came together with a sharp snap, completing the text.

"Stuck Together, always and forever."

Maisara looked in awe at the thing.

"Did you make this by hand?" She looked at him in wonder. Oliver blushed.