Chapter 11| Black Snapdragons p.3

2003 — C E N T R A L   H O S P I T A L, Gotham

"Mom?! Mom where are you?!" Oliver shouted through the doors of the hospital. Patients turned to throw looks at him. Maisara rushed in  behind him.

"Ol, Oliver." She turn him to face her, "We can check at the reception. I'll ask, you stay here."

"No, I'll go with you."

"I'll shout the room number and you run, can't imagine that it'll be easy if you go farther away from the entrance."

Oliver nodded, albeit reluctantly. Maisara walked up to the reception.

"Hello I'm here for Jean Pierre Woods?" she asked the reception table.

"Relation to patient?"

"Daughter."

"One visitor?"

"Two. My brother is with me."

"Okay. Down the hall, up the stairs to the second floor, room 14 in the ICU."

Maisara whipped her head around and shouted;

"ROOM 14 SECIND FLOOR ICU"

And then oliver ran like hell. His mother, his protector, his light; every memory of her flashed through his head as he ran towards her. How could that man do that to her? How dare he?

The depression caved and became anger. A boiling, scorching hot pent up anger with only one target; his father. He soon arrived there, and was lead to her room by a helpful yet slightly freaked out medical student.

All emotion faded away as soon as he saw his mother. She looked so helpless, so fragile. Nothing like before. Nothing like the strong, smiling woman she used to be. The oxygen mask covered half her face but Oliver could still see it clearly in his head. Tubes, so many tubes were attached to her. So many computers surrounded her. This wasn't his mom. It couldn't be.

He slowly walked up to the bed, afraid that of he moved to fast, she would disappear.

"Mom?" A strange strangled noise escaped his mouth. He still couldn't believe it. A single tear dripped out. Not matter how much he beat that son of a bitch he called father, he realised, his mother would never truly come back to him. She's be like this; brittle and unmoving.

He sat by her side and brushed her hand with his fingertips, just as Maisara walked into the room. His mother started spasming immediately. Her heart monitor started beeping in an urgency Oliver couldn't understand. He fell back, afraid, into the floor.

The doctors flooded the room, Maisara covered his view and then everything else was a blur. He briefly remembered sobbing into her chest, a couple drops wetting his own shirt. He remembered waiting anxiously outside the surgery room, and then he remember falling to the floor. The last thing he saw were the doctor's boots.

Oliver's mother died that day.

*******

2003 — W A Y N E M A N O R, Gotham

Maisara couldn't let him go back to that drunkard. She couldn't. By the time she bought him home, only Dick waited for her in the living room. Alfred lay Oliver to rest in her room.

"Took you guys long enough. What happened?" Dick yawned.

"His mother.... She passed away." Maisara grimly relayed. Dick was suddenly alert.