Chapter 9| Turquoise Lillies

(For clarity, Maisara is 2 years younger than Dick.)

2001 - W A Y N E M A N O R, Gotham

Dick had been thinking a lot. He had been here for no more than 4 months, but it seemed he knew more about Bruce than Maisara did. It seemed unfair to him. She had stayed with him longer, she was older, so why was it him that had to carry the burden of his secret?

On the other hand, he had been feeling more... normal these days. He was back to his mischievous self. Maisara had played a great role in that, so obviously seeing Bruce betray her in such a way did not sit well with him.

He sighed as he looked at the time. Today was the day he was going to meet his old coworkers from the circus. They contacted him a week ago to try and meet up one last time before he went and lived his own life. Dick didn't mind; they weren't that bad. They all took a day's leave and drove down to Gotham from Metropolis, where they had their show in the evening.

Dick was already ready. He had informed Maisara and did not feel the need to inform Bruce. Alfred, too, knew of this get together, and it was decided that Dick would be back by 3 at most. If not, Alfred could come pick him up.

Maisara herself had plans with Oliver. They were going to go to the Aquarium. Admittedly it would take quite the while, so they were glad Dick wouldn't feel alone at home.

Dick walked down the sidewalk. They were to meet at Exes & Roses, a flower shop-turned-diner, ergo the controversial name. He stopped when the building was across from him. He saw them sitting at a booth next to the window; there were four of them. Taking a deep breath, he crossed the street.

As he entered the diner, the bell chimed. His coworkers didn't turn around.  He saw the booth behind them was free. They seemed to be very into the conversation they were in, so Dick decided to eavesdrop for a bit. He casually passed their booth, and they didn't notice him. He slipped into the booth behind them, and started to listen.

"....don't think he knows, so we shouldn't mention it." said Stacy the Acrobat.

"Well if he doesn't know, then he has the right to," Said James, the Lion trainer.

"He's 10, James. He'll be traumatized." Manny the Clown reasoned.

"Look Manny, wouldn't you want to know if your parents were killed and it was made to look like an accident? He's been orphaned. He deserves to know why." James emphasized. Dick tensed.

His parents were killed?  Tears started to pool as anger swirled in his chest.

"None of this would've happened if Mr. Izack  would've just paid them back." Bethany the daredevil grumbled.

It had something to do with the debt collectors? Dick remembered them. A fat man in the middle was always surrounded by tough-looking guards when he came to ask for monthly money. It was like they expected an attack. Good. They would be ready for the revenge.

"Look, it wasn't his fault. He didn't know those assholes would mess with the trapeze bars."

Dick had heard enough. He slammed his hands down on the table, and angry tears started to fall. Everyone's attention was drawn to him, and his coworkers audibly gasped. They gaped wide-eyed as Dick made his way back out of the diner, looking anywhere but at them.

As soon as he was out of their sight, he dashed. His feet led him home, though he meant to go anywhere but. No one saw him rush through the door. No one heard the door slam. No one heard his wails. No one tended to him. No, in this world, he was without parents. He was without the people who would kiss him on the head and let him know everything was okay. He was without the people who would take him every Saturday to get ice cream and make fun of the people walking by. He was without the only comfort he had in his life.