Prologue | Blue Daffodils

1996-- W A Y N E   M A N O R, Gotham

A young man walked in with a child holding his hand.

"Thanks for this Bruce, I owe you one."

The man known as Bruce slightly glared at the young carefree girl as she looked in awe of the  mansion she had just entered. It wasn't that he liked children that he said yes to taking care of the little critter, but because Alfred said it would do good for his reputation, coming off as a man who likes children. He didn't see the need to improve the reputation of his company, or himself. He was already pretty popular, and saw no way how a child could help with the image of his family business.

The child could feel his glare, but she didn't mind. She learned not to. Her mom had done the same with her, but she hoped this man would never do to her what her mom did. Well, even if he did, he would need a reason first, and she would simply have to give him none.

"No problem, Mr. Leviathan. Are you sure that you'll be back within a few days?" Bruce asked, forcing his tone to be polite as he diverted his eyes from the bug infesting his home to the man whom he shared a big contract with.

"Ah! Of course!" The man replied. The man gave one sad glance toward his daughter, and turned to leave after excusing himself. This confused Bruce. Why was he giving a sad glance when he would see her in a matter of days?

Oh well.

"ALFRED!" He shouted. The man came scurrying out, and gave him a kind smile.

"Yes, Master Wayne?"

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?"

"A countless amount of times, yet I will still not listen Master Bruce."

Bruce sighed. "Alright, alright. Could you please take the child to a room. I'm almost done preparing for the-" he glanced at the girl "-thing. I don't need her getting in my way."

"Of course, Master Bruce. Might I ask what the child's name is?"

Bruce froze. He had never bothered to ask. He turned to the girl and crouched down to her level. 

"Hey, kid. What's your name?" He asked in a rough tone. Alfred's brow slightly twitched. He would have to educate Master Bruce on how to talk with children and treat them.

"Maisara. Maisara Tasman."