Chapter 11| Black Snapdragons (p.2)

2003 — W A Y N E M A N O R, Gotham

"Let me just begin with saying..." Maisara began. The superheroes in the room anxiously awaited her reply. "Barbara, you could do so much better."

The puff of relief left Bruce's mouth. The tension dissipated. The dinner continued. Barbara had a smile on her face all the while Maisara did her best to make her feel comfortable. Laughs and blushes were exchanged over dinner. If you were to ask Maisara about that night, she would have told you that she didn't believe it for a second. She'd say they blushed when they held hands and looked away when anyone would talk about their relationship. She'd say they were like deers in headlights, and that they seemed too pure.

"So, Babs, can I call you that?" Maisara chirped.

"Of course." Barbara smiled.

"Right, so babs, did you know that when Richard was about ten, we snuck out and went to the movies-"

"MAISARAH." Dick grew red with embarrassment.  "You promised to never talk about that night ever again you snake." He whisper-shouted.

"Well, I guess I changed my mind. Anyway-" Maisara continued, but before she could, Dick picked up a piece of bread and shoved it in her mouth.

"What is it?" Barbara giggled. "Now I'm curious." 

"Please," Interrupted Dick, "Don't be." 

"You snuck out?" Bruce glared with eyes widen open. Dick and Maisara's 'caught red-handed' look came into view. 

"See? This is all your fault." Dick was quick to blame Maisara.

"My fault? You can't just bring your first girlfriend home and expect me to not tell her embarrassing stories about you." Maisara accused. Dick blushed at the term 'girlfriend'.

"Oliver were you a part of this?" Bruce turned to him. The poor boy choked on his carbonara. 

"Don't bring him into this." Maisara defended.

"But was he?" the question was now directed towards Maisara.

"Well-" Maisara tried to explain on his behalf but Alfred cut her off.

"There's a call for Mister Oliver. It sounded urgent." He announced, calming the chaos. Oliver eagerly nodded and left the room, following Alfred. 

"Maisara, you were saying?" Bruce continued to interrogate. 

Meanwhile, in the living room, Oliver picked up the phone which had been put face down.

"Hello?" He called into it.

"Yes hello, is this Oliver Greenwood?" a female voice disoriented by the radio connections called form the other side.