11. THE KING'S PLAN

━━━━━━━━🏹 T E U T A 🏹━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━
🏹 T E U T A 🏹
━━━━━━━━

"Teuta!"

Since when did Daphne try to wake her with an unsure but urgent whisper? Teuta assumed she had overslept hence the uneasy tone, but it wasn't Daphne. Or Eloise or Penelope. Alina stood next to her bed, looking down at Teuta with a concerned look on her face.

The pirate quickly sat up in her bed, the tiredness was gone, and she was wide awake. "What's wrong?"

"I overheard something when I was making my way over to the meeting room. We wanted to start very early today and thank the Saints Tamar suggested it, otherwise I wouldn't have heard it ..."

"Alina, what is it?"

The girl's face showed fear now. "Did you tell your maids anything last night?"

"Yes, I told them about my upcoming plans ..." Then the realization hit her. "They told the Queen."

Alina nodded. "Quickly, you have to get out of here!"

Teuta jumped out of bed and got dressed in ten seconds, while Alina looked out of the window to see if the way through the gardens was clear. "What did you hear exactly?"

"They said you made arrangements for a treachery," the sun summoner said. "They claimed you have plans to kill the King in a day or so. When they added that guards were on their way to bring you to him to seal your fate, I rushed straight over here – We have to go, Teuta!"

"I will look guilty if I leave now. The only chance I have now is to confront the maids first."

"They will lie and tell you that they didn't say anything."

"They might talk with a knife to their throats."

"And where would you get that on short notice?"

Good point. Her weapons were locked away, her and the crew weren't allowed to be armed inside the walls of the Grand Palace. If she wanted a knife, she had to sneak one out of the dining room or the kitchen. And if the King was already planning to take her to trail, she would get caught on the way over to each room.

Teuta tried to think what she could do next, but her thoughts got interrupted by a pounding on the door. A male voice called for her to open up.

"Guards!" Alina whispered and turned to Teuta in panic. "What now?"

Teuta grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the hidden entrance. "Go down there, it leads you to the water station." She pushed the door open. Darkness greeted the two women. "If somebody asks, you found a door in the corridor and wandered off. You never were here."

"No, you have to come with me!"

"Alina go, they can't find you here!"

"What about you?"