Memories

Mum and Catra stared at me intently as I opened up the battered box. The words, which were very untidily scrawled across the front of it, read: Memories.

I assumed this was them showing me their baby photos and such. I didn't have high expectations for it as I silently opened it.

The first thing my eyes caught was a red jumper-Cardigan hybrid, with huge puffy shoulders with rips in. I didn't bother to hide my disgust at the crime of fashion.
"Hey! Gimme!" Mum snatched the weird clothes out of my hands. "This was my old Horde uniform..."
"You wore it after you left The Horde, so it isn't really. I never told you how ridiculous those shoulder poofs were." Catra giggled, making Mum even angrier. Mum tried to fit her arms into the sleeves, and with a lot of scratches and groans, she finally got it on.

I couldn't contain my laughter. Those shoulder poofs did look quite silly...

"She also had her hair in a weird little poof at the front." Catra snickered.
"I need to see that." I stared at Mum, who looked equally embarrassed and angry.

"I though I looked nice..." Mum trailed off, taking off the coat and staring at it, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. "So many memories." She said that as she turned it over, and to my surprise, there were jagged scratch marks across the back. Catra rested a hand on Mum's lap.
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay, it doesn't matter." She screwed up the coat and tossed it carelessly to the other side of the room.

I felt really bad, they both must have gone through so much. I strolled over to the coat and picked it up. It fit me pretty well, and I smiled at myself. "Quite comfy, actually." I mused, stroking the fine, soft material. "How do I look?"
"You look lovely, Finn." Her smile brightened the room, and we sat down again, looking at the box.

This time, it was Catra who grabbed something from the box. It was a striking red headpiece with the features of a cat on it. I gazed in wonder at it, and before anyone could say anything, she gently placed it on my head.
"Perfect." She whispered, holding Mum's hand. I went over to the mirror, and to my surprise, I looked quite nice. The colours went well together, and the jacket wasn't too bad when you had it on. I could hear them squealing from the other side of the room. I rolled my eyes. "Is it really that good that you need to squeal?"
"Yes it is." They exclaimed with huge smiles.
"Let's just keep looking through the box."

"Is... is that..." they stared at a creepy mask in horror.
"Why do we even have that..?" Catra whispered to Mum, who carefully shook her head. "I don't know.."
"All she could say was... "you're welcome"?! She never did anything for us. I feel so stupid for even crying about her." And yet, she sniffled, and she began to shake, tears steadily flowing down her face. Mum comforted her by telling her that "She's gone now. We're okay. They're all gone...".

"What's going on?" I asked, taking the mask that had been slung onto the sofa next to Mum.
"The person who that mask belongs to- belonged to- was... the woman who raised us. She was a manipulator. She treated Catra like she was... nothing good." She had to take a breath before continuing. "She died by sacrificing herself for us, so that we could... that's a story for another day. All she said was "You're welcome" as she killed this beast, killing herself along with it."
"A horrific end to a horrific person." Catra mustered up the strength to spit.

We sat there in silence, Mum and Catra cuddling, and me staring at the mask of their abuser. I felt sick looking at it, and I had never even met her. I stood up, held the mask tight, and threw it out the window.

"It's gone now." I stated, looking back at them with confidence. "That's enough memories for one day."

I squeezed in between the two of them, and we sat in the warmth of each others arms.