22| The Recruitment

22| The Recruitment

The quick pace of a rushed surrounding nearly took Lyn down to her knees. Her eyes focused and lost focus as her sight diverted from every ship to person on her way to her section of the hangar. Some familiar faces had seen her, but she hadn't stopped, she simply nodded with a twitch of a smile. She would have to catch up later.

"—It's been a couple of days already...." A familiar voice let out. "It doesn't take long to....to get rid of your trace."

"No—no you don't know that.....they have to make it back—they have to."

Lyn stood frozen to her core from an overwhelming sensation of feelings. She turned past a ship to match the familiar voices to their face.

"Nova....Axel." Lyn let out as the two heads turned quickly and froze. Within a split second they both ran to her, hugging her as they all nearly fell to the floor.

"I'm really glad to see you both." Lyn said nearly faltering as she fought the sad relief.

"They told us you were.....probably dead." Nova asked as hope filled her eyes.

"What happened?" Axel asked. "Wedge was the only one who told us what was happening, you had another mission or something."

"Yeah." Lyn nodded. "I had to go after the plans is all, it's a long story."

"Well, where're the others? They went with you right?" Nova asked as she looked desperately at Lyn.

".....No." Lyn said softly as her stomach dropped. Axel swallowed the lump in his throat as Nova looked between them desperately.

"Well—well then they're still getting rid of their trace." Nova nodded, assuring herself. "They're going to come." She said looking at Axel and Lyn. "I mean look—you made it back, right?"

"....Nobody's going to come." Lyn said regretfully as she shook her head.

"No, you don't know that, neither of you do." Nova shook her head in betrayal as she looked at the two faces.

"Yes, I do." Lyn let out lowly with glossy eyes. "I was there Nova none—nobody else from our squadron made it out." She said. "You guys are all that's left from Brown."

"No." Nova backed away as Axel tried soothing her. "No!" She let out a devastating cry as she fell to the floor.

Lyn glanced at the two then to a random ship as she couldn't bear to look at them. A deep miserable feeling grew in her chest each time Nova sobbed. Axel had been trying his best to comfort Nova, but he himself was losing it from finally being told the reality.

    I should've never picked rookies for my squadron.

Lyn ran a hand through her hair. All the pain they were going through right now was all because she wanted to prove to others that the young hot shots were just as serious and skilled as everyone else. But even the most skilled person could die.

     She clenched her hand, it wasn't her fault. It wasn't her fault. It was the Empires. It always was.

     She sighed as she went closer to the two 18 year olds.