Chapter 15

Holden cleared his throat. "Um, yes, I was hoping you might have a moment to talk with us."

"We came by yesterday, but you weren't here," Felix added. The priest chuckled.

"Ah, I'm sorry about that. I had business to attend to. Father Ogden at your service," he greeted, extending his hand out to them. They shook it and introduced themselves. "What can I help you with?"

I was a little upset still that someone had managed to sneak up on me, but it was hard to be mad at the spitting image of Santa Claus. His white beard was neatly trimmed and his robes hid any belly. Besides that, I wouldn't have been surprised if his nickname was Saint Nick.

"I was hoping we could speak to you privately, for a moment," Holden said. Father Ogden nodded.

"Of course," he replied, motioning for us to follow him. A door slammed just as we turned. I jumped around, cursing.

"What the fuck is wrong with this place?" I shouted. A younger man stood frozen in front of a door steps behind the altar. His blonde hair was almost white and fell in front of his eyes. His dark eyes widened, watching us closely.

"Franklin," Father Ogden sighed. "Watch the chapel for me, please."

The young man nodded, stepping away from the door. He fidgeted under our gazes. He dropped his eyes, and they were practically glued to the floor as we passed. I kind of felt sorry for the skinny kid. He looked uncomfortable, maybe even scared.

"You should talk to this kid, too," I pointed out. Felix nodded his head subtly.

The priest led us through the door and into a small office. Two upholstered chairs with a worn gray pattern sat facing a large wooden desk. He motioned for the guys to sit. I floated around the room snooping.

Bookcases lined the side wall. They were completely full of books. Small clusters were organized here and there, with decorations dispersed between them. All and all, it looked like a regular office.

"Now, what is it you wanted to talk about?" Father Ogden asked, sitting down at his desk.

"We've been investigating some recent incidents and were wondering if you had heard anything," Holden said. Father Ogden tilted his head.

"I'm afraid you are going to have to be a little more specific than that if I am to help you." I rolled my eyes.

"You guys serious do this all the time?" Holden cleared his throat, ignoring me.

"Yes," he started again. "We've seen signs of demonic summonings in the area and were wondering if you had heard anything."

Father Ogden laughed, but it died down when he noticed they hadn't joined him. "You know summoning demons is fiction, right?"

"Of course, Father," Felix replied. I burst out laughing at his earnest tone. I knew he was putting it on. He flashed a glare in my direction. "But we are worried about the people doing it that don't believe it is fiction."

"Yep," I said. "Got to catch those crazy people."

"The scenes have become increasingly more disturbing," Holden added, also flashing me a glare. Ooo, I had to be annoying them if Baldy was getting mad.

"That is troubling," Father Ogden relented. He narrowed his eyes, staring out in front of him. "I can't think of anything I have noticed recently. How long have they been going on?"

"It appears the activity has significantly picked up in the last few months," Holden informed him. Father Ogden took a moment before shaking his head.