Chapter 5

Pretty Boy's eyelids started drooping a few hours later. I used what energy I had left to shove him. He jumped awake and rubbed his eyes.

"Thanks," he mumbled, stumbling out of the room. Only seconds passed before Baldy appeared in the doorway.

I barely noticed as he took up Pretty Boy's spot on the window seat. My eyes never strayed from Man Bun's chest. The steady rise and fall felt like a lifeline, a tether keeping me afloat in a flood.

I felt strange. Usually, I felt normal to myself. It was my surroundings that felt intangible. But at that moment, it felt like a calm breeze could blow me away. My brain was clogged. I couldn't focus on anything except that constant rhythm of Man Bun's breathing.

It was exactly 2,923 breaths later that Man Bun woke up. Baldy moved to his side, between one breath and the next. Man Bun winced at the light streaming through his window, but didn't complain as Baldy helped him sit up.

"How are you feeling?" Baldy asked. Man Bun shrugged and then winced.

"I'm ok," he replied, his voice raspy. He looked around the room, narrowing his eyes. "You're so weak. What happened?"

"What do you-," Baldy cut off his words, following Man Bun's gaze. "She alerted us you were having a vision. It must have taken a lot of energy."

Baldy's serious gaze didn't faze me. I was having trouble just following their conversation. Man Bun clapped once, snapping me out of my daze.

"I'm okay," he said. "Go take care of yourself. I don't like how you feel right now."

I knew he was right. I had never allowed my energy to drop this low. Knowing I needed something to even get out of the room, I focused on the light overhead. It blared to life and then flickered as I pulled energy from it.

I felt steadier, but not quite right yet. I headed out into the hall and down the stairs. Pretty Boy was standing in front of the stove. He looked half-asleep still, but was cooking what appeared to be a decent breakfast.

Sitting down on the counter, I pulled energy from all the lights in the large room. I heard Pretty Boy curse, but I ignored him. I don't know how long I sat there pulling energy in wave after wave, like breathing. When I opened my eyes, Man Bun and Baldy had joined us in the kitchen.

Flushed and exhausted looking, Man Bun sipped coffee from one of the large mugs. Baldy had taken over breakfast preparation. Pretty Boy was sitting next to Man Bun at the counter, drinking his own cup of liquid caffeine.

"Thank god that's over," Pretty Boy muttered, glancing at the lights.

"She feels better, now," Man Bun said with a small smile. I agreed with him. I felt back to normal, ready to cause chaos and terror. Cue evil laugh.

"I'm glad you are okay, Man Bun," I said. "The other two are nowhere near as good at ghost charades as you are."

"Do you remember what you saw?" Baldy asked. He dished up the plates, handing one to each of the others. Pretty Boy rolled his eyes.

"Not going to let him eat breakfast first?" Man Bun waved him off.

"I remember bits and pieces. I think most of what I saw was in this house," he said.

I froze. The only major event that happened in this house was my murder. I really didn't want him to see that. I didn't want anyone seeing that.

"Really?" Pretty Boy asked. They dug into their food, chatting in between bites.

"Yeah, I couldn't tell if it was past or future though," Man Bun informed them. "I saw flashes of darkness, an unnatural darkness creeping up from the floorboards. It felt like pure evil. I also saw flashes of a young girl, brunette. She was terrified. I think she died here."