Chapter 16

"What happened between you and Kai the other day?" Felix asked in a hushed tone. His green eyes were wide as they focused on me. I fidgeted immediately, not liking this line of questioning.

"Nothing," I shrugged. He raised an eyebrow at me. Shit. I may have answered too quickly.

"Really?" he asked. "Cause it really looks like something happened. I've never seen the demon this worked up."

"He doesn't seem...that bad," I tried to defend. I didn't believe my words at all. The three of them glance at the stairs, sharing loaded looks.

"Nope, he's pretty bad," Felix stated, looking at the others. "Back me up."

"He doesn't usually go on that sort of hunting spree, at least not by himself," Milo said.

"He is a bit more irritable than usual," Holden added. I threw my hands up.

"What does any of that have anything to do with me?"

"Because it started after your encounter with the koleti," Felix stated, staring me down. I flinched and looked down at the ground.

"That's just... just," I started.

"Coincidence?" Milo asked. I pointed at him and nodded vigorously.

"Yes, coincidence!"

"What's a coincidence?" Kai's voice from behind us startled everyone.

"Nothing," we chorused together like children caught doing something bad. Kai looked at us skeptically, but finally let out an exasperated sigh and made his way into the study.

We followed him. Felix sent me a glare, but I returned the favor. It was his fault. He was the one that started the questioning. Holden nudged him to knock it off. Once Baldy's back was turned, I stuck my tongue out at Felix. He made a step to come toward me, and excitement shot through me at the potential tussle. Holden was there, pushing him back.

"Control yourself," Holden scolded him.

"Yeah, Felix, you really need to exercise some impulse control." Holden turned and nailed me with a glare.

"You too," he scolded. I forced the smile off my face and nodded. It was difficult, but I managed.

We watched as Kai made his way to the map and began marking locations. I noticed the market among them. The others were spread out across the city. They appeared random. I studied them as he stepped away from the board.

"Summoning sites?" Holden asked, surveying the map. Kai nodded.

"Same symbols, ash, smell, each one almost identical," he explained.

"Which are the most recent?" Felix asked, getting serious as well. Kai shook his head.

"It's impossible to tell."

I played connect the dots in my head, and I saw a shape appear. I tilted my head and moved closer. Tracing it with my fingers, I realized the room had fallen silent. They watched me intently.

"Do you guys see it too?" I asked. "It makes a star, right?"

"Holy shit," Felix breathed. Kai stepped forward, grabbing some tape. He connected the points with the tape just like I had. We stepped back and stared at it. The guys looked at it with shock but also with knowing. They knew what it meant.

"What is it?" I asked. I expected Holden to answer, maybe Milo, but it was Kai who stepped forward.

"It's a pentagram." I knew what that was, but not in this context. He didn't elaborate. I blew out a breath.