Getting out

Shawn's pov
       I looked around as the massive convoy pulled into the airfield, the guard looked over our battered and torn skin, the blood soaked uniforms, the exhaustion and shot up humvees, the entire pitiful sight as we passed. I looked around happy to see the sight of clean buildings and a clear night, the drive had taken 10 hours and I was exhausted. Eventually the humvee came to a stop and I heard the private, who I've learned is named Sean as well, "we're here sir, birds are inbound to pull us all out" I nodded and opened my door using my foot to push it open I looked over once more and said "you did good kid, you did good" he looked down before asking "how's your hand sir?" I gripped it with my left hand "I'll live" he nodded as I looked in the back and saw the rest of the squad had already climbed out. I slid out of my seat and stomped my feet, trying to get blood flowing again. I hissed as my rifles sling caught my bandage and pulled on it, Mira was next to me in a second checking it before asking "are you okay?"
I nodded and said "Elena, I'm fine. Just battered" she looked at me in interest before I heard Archer "Tomb, we gotta go. COs and NCOs are having a meeting" I looked up at the stars and sighed before walking over to her and heading to this makeshift meeting for the leaders. I stood in the back quietly listening to officers bicker about what they thought was the right call, most trying to get their unit priority for extraction. I heard Sergeant Major Ramirez say "why don't you ask Captain Ryan what he thinks should happen?" The officers fell silent, suddenly hyper aware of Archer and I's presence. I smirked a toothy half smile and said "each and every one of you, need to take a huge step back and reevaluate priorities. My squad and any wounded will be the first to extract. Have a nice night gentlemen" as I turned and walked off. Archer started talking to them but I didn't pay it much mind as I made my exit.I leaned against a humvee engine block with sledge, we stood silently looking across the airport at the civilian side. Planes taking off, people probably not even noticing us.
      He spoke suddenly "Seamus, my names Seamus" I replied without looking over "Shawn" he chuckled before saying "I didn't think we'd make it out of that one" I pulled out my box of cigarettes "me neither" as I lit one and stared at the planes. Ash said "you shouldn't smoke those" I looked up and saw her sitting on the roof "I shouldn't do a lot of things" she chuckled before Seamus said "Better not let Elena see you smoking that" I asked "why not?" He replied "She yells at one of our operators maestro cause he smokes, she'll go crazy if she sees you smokin" I chuckled until the 5'6" woman appeared in my vision "what do you have there?" I replied after a second "a hole in my hand" she pointed to the cigarette "that'll kill you you know" I sighed before dropping my cigarette and stomping it out "happy?" She smiled and nodded as I heard the first distant chop of a helicopter's blade. I saw Seamus and Elena walk off as Ash said "she cares about you, a lot" I glanced at her before saying "I never caught your name" she replied "Eliza" I nodded.
      I closed my eyes and saw an image of Erik and Ara smiling after our first mission with him, it brought back bittersweet happiness. I looked up and said "it's over brother, we won... we survived" Ramirez was heard in the distance "Captain!" I opened my eyes and pushed off the hood walking over "sergeant major" he said "The chinooks will be here in 5 mikes, you're on the first one out. Washington wants to talk to you.... All of you" I nodded and took my left hand putting it on his shoulder "thank you... for coming through my friend" he smirked and said "of course sir, can't let you have all the fun" I sighed and said "maybe a little less fun next time yeah?" He chuckled as the chinook entered view. I excused myself and grabbed all my gear looking at the laptop that started this whole ordeal, I silently wondered how much it was worth it. I heard Ara behind me "Ready to go home?" I glanced over my shoulder and said "I'm ready to sleep on my fuckin cot I tell you what" she rolled her eyes and said "Mom's gonna kill you for getting shot"
I nodded and said "how do you think she's gonna handle Erik's death?" Ara froze for a second before saying "not well, how are you handling it?" I smiled trying to mask it but ara just tsked and said "you know you can't hide it that well" I nodded letting the smile drop, "well enough" she nodded as the chinook touched down. I started walking and said "let's go home, we've got things to do" she sighed before Seamus, Eliza and Elena joined us and we climbed onto the chinook. The wounded got brought on too, SASR got tore up pretty badly. The aussie's are too rabid for their own good. I leaned back and closed my eyes, finally deciding I had done enough and my subordinates would survive. Sleep took me slowly, the restlessness about losing troops and airmen gnawing at my peaceful slumber. I had memories play back the lose of Erik, the helicopter crash, the dead crew, the mask officer and finally the bullet going through my hand. I jerked awake at the phantom pain feeling someone's hand pull off my back quickly as I looked around. I looked to my left and saw Elena looking at me with a mix of concern and intrigue "memories?" I nodded as she said "I get them too sometimes"