chapter twenty three

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE YOUNG GODS
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

" DOESN'T MATTER IF I COME OUT DEAD OR ALIVE

DEAD OR ALIVE. "
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"LOOK AWAY." He whispered in her ear as she hid her face in his chest. His hands held her trying to figure out what to do in this current situation. He scanned the hallway full of men in gear running downstairs. Rosie could hear his heartbeat start beating quicker. They were looking for them and the pair didn't know where to go. "I need to go find her first."

      Rosie nodded knowing he wouldn't leave his sister behind. The man pulled away unhooking one of the guns he had wrapped around him. "And I need to find Eirene." She spoke having this feeling in her that this would be the last time she would see him. He had made sure the gun was fully loaded before handing it to her.

       Rosie took a deep breath knowing she'd have to survive on her own once again. He looked up noticing the fear in her eyes, his fingers reaching her chin caressing her cheek for a second. "We're getting out of here, okay? Rosie, I love you and I'm going to do everything I can to keep you alive."

      "I love you." She pulled the boy close to her reaching his lips kissing them for the last time. "I'll see you soon."

       "I'll see you soon."

        Rosie didn't know it yet but that was the last time she'd ever see him again. Once she stepped out of that room, reality struck and she realized she was in the middle of a war. And she was on the losing side of it.

       The girl looked around the empty halls searching for her best friend who had become the distraction. Eirene had distracted the majority of the soldiers as the rest of the team headed under the city to escape. A lot of them unfortunately never made it down one flight of stairs as they were shot to death or wounded. Rosie had the chance to reach safety but insisted to go back for her best friend. Luckily for her, someone was also searching for his sister not wanting to leave her behind.

      And here she was hiding from soldiers who carried their wounded friends and the rest of Rosie's team in cuffs. The last thing she was going to do was burn those documents and that's where she was headed. Rosie ran up a flight of stairs reaching the level she used to work in. It was silent and rooms were evacuated. Most staff employees were downstairs waiting for the soldiers to round up the resistance.

      She rose the gun to eye level as she opened one of the laboratory doors locking it behind her. She scanned the whole room making sure no one was inside. The only other person inside was sleeping hooked against a chair with wires around him. He had blond hair and seemed to be in good shape, unlike most cases. The poor boy wore only brown cargo pants and had wounds displaying all over his chest. Obvious signs of struggle were visible and the only way to restrain the hapless boy was to hurt him.