~Chapter One~

Grian's POV

                                                                  ________________________

"Okay, so!"

The sun was brighter than perhaps it had ever been, The world, blanketed in warm light held endless possibilities, things that could be achieved through pure imagination. Even the shadows, dim and dark as they were, held promise. But what was promise without passion? The world had astounding capabilities and just needed a catalyst to let them free. And that the world had-- three catalysts who regularly pushed the world's promise to its limits inhabited the land. Just three was all that it needed; it had been these three for six months, maybe forever.

"First rule is that you can't touch the ground," continued a rather high-pitched person named Grian. Next to him stood a lizard-cyborg-creature, who was currently giving him an extremely dirty look. The two stood on a tall platform, very far off the ground. In fact, it was so far up that Grian couldn't see the ground. Of course, he designed it this way, so this didn't come as much of a surprise. The platform was composed entirely of wood, and an intricate pattern adorned the floor. Not that anyone noticed.

Grian's companion rolled his eyes. "Okay, Mr. I-have-never-taken-off-my-elytra. You tell me how easy it is to fly," he grumbled, and Grian gasped, feigning offense. "Just get on with the rest of the rules," he demanded, standing at the edge of the platform impatiently. After a moment, the cyborg-- his name was Doc-- relented. After a long and very overly dramatic sigh, he smirked. "Please."

"That was very nice of you," Grian grinned. Ah yes, the rules. The rules of the game Grian had somehow managed to rope his friends into playing. It was simple, really. The main idea of the game was to fly through various rings that Grian had set up in the shortest amount of time possible without hitting the rings, touching the ground, or dying. Why did he build it? Grian honestly did not know. He had just felt like making a game, and almost by instinct, he had begun to make this. It was almost like muscle memory, the ease that he did it with. Grian had not actually tested this course before inviting his friends over. This would be fun. "The next ru-"

Unfortunately, he was very rudely cut off by another person. "Rule number two, there are no more rules," said a third person, who had previously been standing behind Grian and Doc, very matter-of-factly as she stepped up to Doc and pushed him off. "Good luck!" She called down after him with a sing-songy, mocking tone. After three seconds, she turned back to Grian with a winning smile. The girl had greenish skin and her bright orange hair was adorned with leaves and blue flowers. Her emerald eyes glinted mischievously as she reasoned, "He should've seen that coming."

Grian sighed. Would Cleo ever let him do something without pushing Doc off of some form of high object? "All you've done is give him a head start," he warned. This did not seem to concern Cleo in the slightest, however. "You do realize he's good with elytras, right?" The gremlin pressed. This sort of thing happened constantly; Cleo messed with Doc, Doc swore revenge on her, and then they'd spend the next week trying to inconvenience each other, more often than not getting Grian caught in the crossfire. It was exceedingly amusing, though, so Grian didn't quite mind.

"Pfft, only if he's been given eight hours to prepare beforehand," Cleo retorted. The zombie-girl pulled out some rockets and backed up to the side of the platform. "See ya at the end, cod boy." Grian opened his mouth to refute that absolutely heinous nickname, but his companion had already jumped off and was flying away before he could.

Oh, well. It was too bad that Grian never told them where exactly the course started. The brit chuckled, shaking his head. The three hung out frequently, given that they were the only three people here. Maybe there were more people elsewhere, maybe not. Grian had no idea. Did it get lonely? Sometimes. But it didn't bother him. After all, this was the only life that he had ever known. He was content here. Actually, he was better than content. He was happy. And so was everyone else. Occasionally, they'd get into an argument, but what of it? That didn't mean they weren't still friends.