~(The Real) Chapter Five~

Grian's POV

_______________________

What. What. Huh. What. What.

This was not what Grian expected when he saw the person. And how did he know his name? He wanted to ask, but he couldn't get a word in edgewise while this knight rambled on, pacing quickly back and forth. "Gosh, I just- okay. So I just wind up here with Beef and Cub and Zed, but it's like.... They didn't recognize each other—or me!—and I'm super confused because I honestly didn't see what happened before I got here, because-" He exhaled, and Grian opened his mouth to explain that he had no idea what this man was talking about—were the names he said people or food?—but this person just kept going on, pacing even quicker. It was like watching a game of ping pong. "-because Hels took over when we all got X's message—you know how he always wants to be at the center of everything exciting—and I guess something happened? I haven't seen anyone else in like... I don't even know how long. Hels suddenly became just super aggressive again, that's just so confusing and upsetting because like, we had just begun to get along and now he wants to kill everyone again!

"Have you noticed this yourself? Where did you come from? Do you know what happened? Do you know where any of the others are? Maybe you can talk some sense into them." Grian almost felt bad. "I'm just really glad that someone else is here."

"Um..." Grian said hesitantly. He backed up a bit and fidgeted with his hands. "Do I...know you?"

The other person's smile faltered. When he spoke, it was strained. "Yeah-? Hello, it's Wels... Welsknight? No- Um, not ringing a bell?" After a moment, he sighed, and threw his hands up into the air. "Ugh, not you, too! I feel like I'm going insane!" He laughed mirthlessly. "Well, if you want to come with anyway, I can show you a-"

His offer was interrupted by four pairs of footsteps running towards them. Cleo arrived first with Doc and Scar, and the three were followed closely behind by Cultie. "Hey, Wels!" Cleo called out, then paused. "Wait, how do I know your name? Nevermind, probably one of the weird memory things." Both Scar and the man, apparently named Wels, turned to her, confused.

"Weird...what?" Wels puzzled, frowning. Suddenly, he seemed to realize who had just approached. "Wait- Cleo? Scar, Doc... you're all here too?" He lowered his voice, and not-very-discretely whispered, "Who's the guy in the cult garb?"

Grian looked at Cultie for a reaction, but the latter just crossed his arms. Instead, he said, "The 'weird memory things' Cleo was referring to are a result of my unlocking of her memory...which I just now realized I forgot to do to you and your friends, Scar." Oh. Grian hadn't even realized. The previous day's events were so hectic that Cultie never did The Thing with Scar, Stress, and False. "Anyway," he continued. "As you seem to know, Wels, you all were friends some time ago. Unfortunately, due to... circumstances, amnesia has hit all of you, and it is my job to help unlock your memories."

Wels stood there for a moment, dumbfounded. Then he nodded. "Right, that makes... sense. Um," he paused. "Who are you? You sound almost familiar, but-"

"I'm not from your World. I'm a... friend of one of your friends," Cultie answered. "Anyway, I assume there are more of you?" He seemed to be trying to move this along. "I'll explain in more detail once everyone is gathered together."

Wels glanced at Grian, who merely shrugged. This was about normal at this point; Cultie acts suspicious and insane, no one believes him, he does his memory magic, rinse and repeat. "Just roll with it," Grian advised. After a brief moment of hesitation, Wels nodded.

"Well, come on, then."

Wels led the five through the forest, and into the clearing Grian noticed earlier. He was able to get a closer look at these four cottages. They couldn't have been taller than the average tree, and not any wider or longer than a few meters. How could anyone live in something like that? It seemed just far too small to be comfortable, but hey, who was he to judge? At least they looked nice, each one decorated similarly, but just different enough to be easily distinguishable.