attachment at its finest.

———

———

LEVI'S attention moved from his best friend and commander to the small girl who rolled from off the wall- landing face first in the dirt.

she coughed repeatedly, slowly getting up. her face was dirty with soot all over. once she stood up, she looked over at the two males; staggering their way.

levi sighed, getting up from being down on one knee to help her stand. her one arm grabbed onto one of his while she tried to regain balance.

"what happened?" levi asked. she looked up at the male; trauma behind her glassy eyes. it all happened so fast.

"hanji had reiner. bertholdt transformed. hanji's group was caught in the blast and i lost eren and armin." she mumbled, her small hand clinging on tighter to levi's sleeve.

he could tell she was in a panic, worried about if everyone was safe on the other side. however, she wasn't safe on this side of the wall either.

"y/n." erwin spoke, snapping the shaken girl out of her traumatized state enough for her to salute. "you'll ride out with us then."

levi's head involuntary whipped around to look at erwin whom was getting up from his seat.

"hell no." he huffed, walking behind the girl and putting his hands over her ears. "she's not doing this. she can take out the titans on the other end and we'll meet in the middle."

"attachment at its finest." erwin hummed, closing his eyes with a soft smile. "the one thing i asked you not to do."

"i admit, i got attached. however, when this opportunity was first given to me, you stated we'd be helping a kid from the underground, not sacrificing her." he scoffed.

erwin hummed, looking up at the sky before sighing to himself.

"what would she like to do, then?" erwin asked, looking at the girl who seemed confused on what was going on.

"you can't ask that. she's emotionally detached, she doesn't understand-" levi's rant was cut short at the girls small hand pulling levi's sleeve.

"i want to help." she stated innocently, calmly. "even if that calls for sacrificing my life."

after erwin's speech to the rest of the soldiers, they had a few minutes to mentally prepare. this was thrown onto them last minute, therefore they should at least be able to say their last goodbye's.

levi looked to the small girl beside him, his grey eyes filling with hope once he saw her shaking.

"if you're scared you can always back out." he stated, hoping she'd take his offer.

"i think you're the one that's scared." she stated, her (eye color) eyes finding his while he sighed. he sat down in the same seat erwin sat in when he first purposed this plan.

y/n could see the uneasy expression on levi's face. she took off her necklace, surprisingly, and handed it to levi. a soft smile came over her face once she saw complete confusion.

"i'll be back for my necklace." she stated, as if this was a sign. her most prized possession was in his hands now, therefore she'd be back for it.

"right," levi muttered.

"thank you, levi." her smile grew wider, the widest levi had ever seen. "i love you!"

levi was in complete shock. his brain refusing to register the fact the both of them knew she wasn't going to make it.

"i love you too, y/n." he stated, clearing his throat once he heard erwin start his battle cry. he sighed, shakily standing up and hugging the girl once more; a hug she finally returned.

he softly kissed her temple, wishing her luck before she got on her horse.

she was literally riding to her death, and levi was watching.

she looked back once more, smiling and giving him a wave before all the soldiers rode off.

levi put on the necklace, tucking it under his shirt before readying himself to take down the beast titan.

"she'll be okay." he repeated to himself while getting mid air and slicing down the first titan.

"she'll be okay."